X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CowboyPhD
    • Apr 2006

Things I found in my bilge?

Are these important? Do they even go to my A-4? The stainless collar has the exact inner diameter of my prop shaft, three set screws, and a rubber seal inside of it. The cap? has threads on the inside of it. Both are 2" outside diameter.

I found them in my bilge. (it's 3 feet deep) I dropped a wrench and found them way up under my engine.

Any ideas?
    Attached Files
  • msauntry
    • May 2008

Stainless thing looks like what I've seen on dripless shafts. The collar sets on the shaft and the bellows of the dripless seal spins on the face. Does one face of that have a really smooth, polished look to it?

The other thing I have no idea...

Comment

• tenders
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2007

The cap is suspiciously Atomic 4-colored. My first guess was that it's a long-lost grease cup to your water pump, but the diameter seems large. Do some A4s have screw-on oil fill caps? Could it be designed to screw onto the end of your shaft, covering the nuts that hold the prop in place?

Comment

• Kelly
        Afourian MVP
        • Oct 2004

Cowboy,

What do we get if we guess correctly??

I think msauntry is right on for the stainless collar. This is EXACTLY like the collar on my dripless "stuffing box". Expensive stuff...

My guess for the cap is an old coolant reservoir cap. The nut in the middle looks like the back side of a pressure adjustment system. The plastic cap on my reservoir looks like this and has a nut to tighten or loosen a sealing system on the underside of the cap (metal disc against a flexible joint).

Kelly
        Kelly

1964 Cheoy Lee Bermuda Ketch, Wind and Atomic powered

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X