X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JOHN COOKSON
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Nov 2008

Here's a diagram from my A4 owners manual. It may not be to relevant since previous owners sometimes change stuff around. However it might be useful as a starting point.
    Side note to Neil: The diagram does not show a ACC key position but I know there is one. The terminal is on the back of the ignition switch and the key has an ACC position. Interesting.

TRUE GRIT
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 11-13-2017, 02:03 AM. Reason: misspelling of relevant

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Because I'm not seeing a separate start button the ign switch must have a momentary start function but neither it nor the solenoid wire is shown.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• GregH
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2015

From the photos are not the purple wires going to the light + on each gauge?
        Greg
        1975 Alberg 30
        sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Originally posted by GregH View Post
          From the photos are not the purple wires going to the light + on each gauge?
          Looking at the picture and the latest drawing, the purple wires are grounds meaning the ABYC color code is out the window.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California

Comment

• dwkfym
            • Nov 2017

Yep. The PO did not use proper colors for everything.

I'm going to check on the insulation on the orange wiring from the coil tomorrow, I will also check on the ground that is missing. I'll re-check everything tomorrow.

Comment

• Tim
              • Jul 2005

Assuming your drawing is correct, there are two wires missing from the starter solenoid/ignition circuit.

1) According to your drawing, +12V comes from the batteries, thru the selector switch, then to the solenoid, and then to ... nowhere. There should be another wire connecting the large terminal on the solenoid to the starter switch. Without that wire, there will be no +12V to the ignition circuit.

2) There should also be a wire from the igntion switch to the "s" terminal on the solenoid. This is the wire that engages the solenoid when the ignition key is turned.

Both of these wires should be there if the engine was running prior to replacing the alternator. Is it possible that you disconnected or removed some wires while working on the alternator?
              Last edited by Tim; 11-13-2017, 08:53 AM.
              Pearson 10M
              Gloucester, Va

Comment

• Administrator
                MMI Webmaster
                • Oct 2004

I feel like Goose, sitting in the back seat of that F-14 in Top Gun and yelling, "Go get 'em, Neil, Tim, et al!"

Multiple bogies in that wiring!

Bill

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

Where are you located?
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California

Comment

• joe_db
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

He is in Deale, MD.
                    Joe Della Barba
                    Coquina
                    C&C 35 MK I
                    Maryland USA

Comment

• dwkfym
                      • Nov 2017

I totally forgot about the wire that goes from the positive post on my fuse bus (where Gal pump, DF, and radio are powered from) to the common terminal on the selector switch. It's also popping the fuse in-line there.

I'm pulling my hair out. Weather is supposed to be nice this weekend. If I miss this weekend, its time to haul out the boat.

(its funny because I have a shaved head and I actually can't pull my hair out)

Comment

• dwkfym
                        • Nov 2017

I think I'm going to get a new ignition switch and rewire as it is in he a4 diagram supplied earlier on this thread. I've never shopped for an ignition switch before. What specifications should I be looking at? Will the ign switch referenced in that diagram eliminate my starter button that is located next to my choke and throttle levers?
                        Last edited by dwkfym; 11-13-2017, 04:19 PM.

Comment

• tenders
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2007

I have a four-position ignition switch that I like a lot, I think it’s a Cole-Hersee brand.

Vertical key: everything is off

Key one click to the left (counterclockwise): accessory on, but in my installation that’s wired to the bilge blower only. Turn it this way when you get onto the boat, and leave it while you get things set up to get underway.

Key one click to the right from vertical (clockwise): “run” mode = ignition on, but ALSO bilge blower.

Key one more click to the right from vertical: “crank” (start) mode = key returns to “run” mode when let go.

Benefits:
                          - simplicity: no separate blower switch, or breaker on the electrical panel, any more. (There is an inline fuse). No separate ignition button either
                          - safety: engine cannot be run without the bilge blower being on
                          - idiocy reduction: ignition cannot be left on inadvertently without the bilge blower being on
                          Last edited by tenders; 11-13-2017, 06:57 PM.

Comment

• dwkfym
                            • Nov 2017

Thank you. That sounds like I have to reroute choke controls since I can't start the engine from the cockpit. How do you have your boat set up for that?

Comment

• tenders
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2007

Not sure you’d need to reroute anything as you probably have an ignition switch in place already. On my installation, there’s a little cupboard built into the cockpit at shin level, right next to the shifter, that houses the choke, ignition, former bilge blower switch, and other gauges. Pretty standard, I think. When I upgraded the ignition switch to the four-position model, I removed the blower switch and replaced it with a fuel gauge. This was a big upgrade over the wooden dipstick that existed for the boat’s first 42 years!

(You can’t start the engine from the cockpit? Where do you start the engine from? You have to leave the helm?)

Comment

• ndutton
                                Afourian MVP
                                • May 2009

I'm truly sorry but without an accurate drawing that shows everything I can't offer anything constructive.
                                Neil
                                1977 Catalina 30
                                San Pedro, California

Comment

Working...
                                X