• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • edwardc
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2009

No New Posts in Over 24Hr

Is there a problem with the forum or is everyone just uncharacteristically quiet?
    @(^.^)@ Ed
    1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
    with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Edward, no we have just got them all running I guess.

Was wondering the same thing and I no longer have an A-4 of my own. But I am learning a bit of diesel, something I have never had or done much. Oh well an engine is an engine.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Ron Mazza
      • Jun 2018

I just joined the forum and tried to post a question this morning but either I didn't do something correctly or it's not working.

Comment

• Al Schober
        Afourian MVP
        • Jul 2009

Well, a diesel is a bit different - had 3 of them at one time. No ignition system to maintain (a plus) and a fuel injection system that you can't maintain (big minus). When I pulled the injectors on the Perkins 6-354s (12 of them) they looked like charcoal briquettes! Cost me $75 (each) to have them rebuilt!

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

New members undergo a forensic proctology exam before their first contribution posts. It's one way to weed out the bots, Nigerian bank transfers and other sundry nogoodniks.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Dave Neptune
            • Jan 2007

Who says nothing, I got a reply in.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• roadnsky
              Afourian MVP
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by edwardc View Post
              Is there a problem with the forum or is everyone just uncharacteristically quiet?
              MMI FORUM withdrawals?
              -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
              sigpic
              1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                • Jan 2007

Al, I have a friend who had a shop that just rebuilt injectors, quite a process. And like the A-4 clean fuel means a happy motor, captain and wife.

If I get to do some cruising I am planning on carrying an extra pump, no carb, no ign parts and most everything else I carried for the A-4. Probably won't carry an alt as I have a good solar set up.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Al Schober
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Jul 2009

Dave,
                  Curious as to whether you'll also carry spare injectors and injection pump?

Comment

• CajunSpike
                    • Jan 2018

Haven't posted it in my thread, but I now have all the parts to repair the problem with my driveshaft/coupling coming apart.

Going work on it late friday night/saturday morning.

Cooler at night.

Replacing coupling back half.
                    New coupling bolts.
                    Will drill/wire the pinch bolt in place.
                    New driveshaft key.
                    New exhaust connection gasket.
                    New exhuast connection bolts
                    Replacing impeller. Wasn't sure which back water pump gasket to get so bought both.
                    Also got new exhaust manifold gasket. Was occasionally getting a wisp of smoke from the seal between the manifold and head.
                    May have been evaporation due to heat, but just in case.....
                    Last edited by CajunSpike; 06-29-2018, 12:33 AM.
                    Bill L.
                    1972 Ericson 27
                    Hull #61
                    Atomic 4

Comment

• Mo
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Jun 2007

I can speak for 4

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
                      Edward, no we have just got them all running I guess.

Dave Neptune
                      That's funny. I helped to get 4 running at our club. All but one of them were new boat owners that bought their boats last season and didn't winterize them to the level that I'd call adequate.

1. Blocked manifold...cleared and running. Also loose wiring on coil and ignition button...that one is running well now. Owner did the work but I went aboard if a few times to diagnose it. About an hour all total.
                      2. Broken exhaust due to freezing...lucky it wasn't a cold winter or he'd be looking for an engine. Corrosion on points...up and running. Showed him my list of "winterizing".
                      3. Seized valves...lubrication at lay-up would have prevented that. He had to remove head, free valves and lap them. He had a mechanic friend that was able to do that.
                      4. Water infiltration from exhaust that drained into carb. Cleaned up carb for the guy right away and it fired right up...ran well.

Tried to help a guy in Maine with one but it's really hard to get an engine up and running from hundreds of miles away. I know if I had 1/2 an hour on that boat I'd know where to go with it.

The one with the seized valves. I knew what the issue was in about 20 minutes. Days later he has a mechanic friend on the boat and they buy plugs, ignition items etc...told him again. "You have compression issues and it's valves". So about 2 weeks later they get around to going right for the problem and do the top end. "Wishing" engines to run doesn't work often.
                      Last edited by Mo; 06-29-2018, 03:41 AM.
                      Mo

"Odyssey"
                      1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                      The optimist expects it to change.
                      The realist adjusts the sails.
                      ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                        • Jan 2007

Al, I meant I'll carry the injection pump and maybe the blocks water pump. I have found it is better to check things and/or just bite the bullet and replace at intervals.

My Yanmar has the raw water pump mounted on the side of the block, it is something I have not looked into yet. I need to know how and what it is driven off and have just been to lazy so far to check it out~my bad.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Mo
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
                          Al, I meant I'll carry the injection pump and maybe the blocks water pump. I have found it is better to check things and/or just bite the bullet and replace at intervals.

My Yanmar has the raw water pump mounted on the side of the block, it is something I have not looked into yet. I need to know how and what it is driven off and have just been to lazy so far to check it out~my bad.

Dave Neptune
                          I helped with one a few years back...I think it was a 30hp. The pump was gear driven with an impeller and plate on one end. Also helped with one that was a belt driven pump as well at one time.

The gear driven pump bearing failed. The owner didn't notice it failing until he started to overheat. Apparently they last a long time though as he'd had that boat for years and never had issues.
                          Mo

"Odyssey"
                          1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                          The optimist expects it to change.
                          The realist adjusts the sails.
                          ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• ndutton
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

Dave, I suggest including banjo washers in the spares kit, maybe glow plugs too if you have them (I think the Yanmars do).
                            Neil
                            1977 Catalina 30
                            San Pedro, California
                            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                              • Jan 2007

Neil, no glow plugs strictly compression start. I have the 56HP @ 3600HP hi revving model. It is amazingly smooth and I have plenty of extra power as the std motor in my boat is a 40 Volvo. I cruise at 2500 pushing hull speed. I wanted the extra power for towing my Caliboogie. Do you remember those?

Dave Neptune

Comment

Working...
                              X