• Jul 2007

Unsticking One Cylinder

I could use some help on this one:
    I have a late model A4 that I ran a compression test on yesterday
    #4 - 110 lbs
    #3 - 105 lbs
    #2 - 102 lbs
    #1 - 45 lbs AAARRGGG!

I am going to try the MMO method of "unsticking" the cylinder and hopefully get it to start firing again.

My question is: After squirting some MMO into the offending cylinder, do I put the plug back in and start it right away? Or do I let it "steep" overnight? Or do I even put the plug back in before letting it sit?

Of course, I will have to clean up the #1 spark plug - fouled beyond belief.
    How long do I run the engine between MMO treatments?

I am sure I am not the first to go through this, so any help you can render would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bob
  • baileyem
    • Jun 2006

MMO treatment

I don't think there is a 'best' way to do it. remove the plug and the coil wire, squirt some MMO into the valve area of the cylinder, and crank it right away to spread the MMO around. You can replace the plug and the coil wire and start it up right away, or you can let it steep overnight before starting.
    I guess if I had the time I would start it up right away, run it for awhile. Shut down, give it another treatment with MMO and then let it sit overnight.

Good luck'

Mike

Comment

• rhaggard
      • Jul 2007

Many Thanks!

Mike,

Thanks for your advice. This will be my first time trying something like this.
      It's been one thing after another with this one, it sat neglected for a time before I got the boat.
      I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again,
      Bob

Comment

• David Masury
        • Oct 2004

It may not be the rings that are stuck, it may be one valve is either not seating properly or there is some carbon under the valve lip or the valve spring is broken...... squirting MMO or something else might not help.... if it is a ring then Automatic transmission fluid works the best.

I would suggest taking the valve cover off and with the spark plugs out see if you can determine if it is the intake or exhaust valve....if you can get the valve to the up position then you can spray a good carberator cleaner at the valve itself (through the spark plug hole).... I would use Delco XP66, it is available at your friendly auto store.

The last thing, if after all is said and done, you may have a burnt valve (exhaust)... and that is not a bad job at all.

David Masury

Comment

• rhaggard
          • Jul 2007

Hopefully....

David,

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully, the MMO will do the trick. I've got little to lose by trying that first. I don't want to have to pull the valve cover - darn little room to work in my engine compartment. But, if I can't get the MMO to do it, I guess I will have to try the stuff in your post.
          One thing at a time (it's always something).

Bob

Comment

Working...
          X