• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Baltimore Sailor
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

If I need a new shifter cable...

...can I get one here? On Saturday while trying to get backed into the slip against some contrary winds, something slipped when I tried to shift into reverse and it stuck in forward. I took a peek at the connection where the cable meets the shift lever and things looked OK, but I was out of time and didn't take a look over at the connection at the transmission lever side.

If the cable has busted and I need a new one, are they available here? I didn't see any in the catalog listing, but I might have missed it. Or are they a pretty standard cable that can be ordered anywhere or bought local?

I'll be getting back over to the boat on Wednesday, and I'd like to have an idea of any possible pain in my future.
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Check the outer clamps at both ends first, often the problem.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Jimmy
      • Aug 2011

Replaced my shifter cable last spring. As I recall getting the proper cable require more consideration of the helm pedestal, clearance within it, and distance between that and the shift lever, rather than the A4 it was getting attached to....
      Cheers
      Jimmy
      sigpic
      Jimmy
      C&C 29 MK1
      Erieau , Lake Erie

Comment

• 13jeff13
        • Jan 2011

Cable

Originally posted by Baltimore Sailor View Post
        ...can I get one here? On Saturday while trying to get backed into the slip against some contrary winds, something slipped when I tried to shift into reverse and it stuck in forward. I took a peek at the connection where the cable meets the shift lever and things looked OK, but I was out of time and didn't take a look over at the connection at the transmission lever side.

If the cable has busted and I need a new one, are they available here? I didn't see any in the catalog listing, but I might have missed it. Or are they a pretty standard cable that can be ordered anywhere or bought local?

I'll be getting back over to the boat on Wednesday, and I'd like to have an idea of any possible pain in my future.
        Mr. Don Moyer Referred me to Teleflex / Morris Outfit that made the Shifter cable for my boat. It actually arrived today in the mail. $126.00. You can shop them around, but you need to be sure of the dimensions. Mine was a 60 series, "C" Style, 10' long. Turned out to be Part No. CCX64310,, for my Boat,, Yours may be different. Don Has the Number,, I don't want to give it out,, per I was not told I could.

Teleflex Morris will help you figure out what cable you have,, but will not sell it to you. Amazon had many suppliers who have it at a WIDE Price range. 113 + shipping to 195 + shipping. Through inquiry, they all shipped from the same warehouse in Detroit... I went with the one for 113,, and am extremely happy with it. My Only Gripe is they didn't send the hold down brackets, and mine look cruddy,, but will clean up OK.

Jeff
        With Powerboats, it's about the destination. With Sailboats, you are already there.

Jeff

S/V Karinya
        1973 Grampian 30', Full Keel, A4 aux.
        sigpic

Comment

• tenders
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2007

I replaced my cable in 1994 by dropping it off at West Marine and they did the rest. I think they charged me $120 then, which was outrageous, but it was a perfect fit. It's a Teleflex cable but it's quite robust. I would be surprised if you broke yours but it's entirely possible that the mounting hardware loosened up as you were manhandling it around: I'm guessing the clamp that holds the cable down before it connects to the transmission arm.

Comment

• Mo
            Afourian MVP
            • Jun 2007

If you need a new cable take your old one off and see if MMI has one that size. If not, bring it to a commericial cable maker. These are the guys that put the same SS cables on for heavy equipment. `Drive Line Products`is one here in Canada and I think they are in the US also. The cable should cost you around $100 from those guys.
            Mo

"Odyssey"
            1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
            The optimist expects it to change.
            The realist adjusts the sails.
            ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Baltimore Sailor
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2007

Hooray! It was just a slipped bracket. I don't like the way the bracket is mounted on the backing plate: it's held by machine screws threaded into the plate -- no bolt and nut, just a screw. I have lock washers on the screws, but it still manages to work itself loose over time. I'm thinking of moving to the next smaller bolt size and ignore the threads and nut and bolt that clamp on there with lock washers AND lock nuts.

Heck, the wind was foul again yesterday and I thought I was going to loosen it up AGAIN trying to get her backed into her slip. I finally got her in by carefully lining her up into the wind before starting to back up, and that worked.

So that's done, AND I got my new bimini put up! I hope it works out. It's a little longer than I wanted (5'6"), but I couldn't find the 4' length in a 42" height. It's a little closer to the hatchway than I wanted, but the boom clears it, and it doesn't look any worse than other boats on the dock. This weekend will be the sail test. Fingers crossed...

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Baltimore Sailor View Post
                Hooray! It was just a slipped bracket. I don't like the way the bracket is mounted on the backing plate: it's held by machine screws threaded into the plate -- no bolt and nut, just a screw. I have lock washers on the screws, but it still manages to work itself loose over time. I'm thinking of moving to the next smaller bolt size and ignore the threads and nut and bolt that clamp on there with lock washers AND lock nuts.
                I went through basically the same drill with the stiff leg brace for the hot section on my exhaust. Vibration from the engine would shake the nuts right off the bolts. No combinantion of hardware worked for long. A drop of Loctite solved the problem.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

Working...
                X