X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CowboyPhD
    • Apr 2006

Crankcase Ventilation

Is there any reason I can't plumb Don's carburetor flange kit (Product No. - FCAR_13.2_166 ) to the valve cover outlet instead of dropping $80 plus shipping on the Indigo Crankcase Ventilation System?
  • High Hopes
    Afourian MVP
    • Feb 2008

You need something to stop a backfire in the intake manifold from going back into the crankcase, igniting the crankcase fumes, and causing an EXPLOSION. A PCV valve does this. It is a one way valve. It also limits the airflow to the intake manifold under high vacuum conditions, such as encountered when idling.

If you are planning to vent the crankcase into the intake manifold, I'd buy the kit. I am planning to try runnning a hose from the crankcase vent into the bilge blower exhaust duct.
    Last edited by High Hopes; 06-17-2008, 10:29 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

• msauntry
      • May 2008

The only thing I can think of that would prevent the blower from venting it, is that the long run of vent hose from the block will create drag and the engine will send any blowby through the path of least resistance, which might be the oil fill cap.
      You could take off the cap and jam a wood plug in there and see if that stops it venting there and forces it through the longer hose.

Comment

• Marian Claire
        Afourian MVP
        • Aug 2007

I looked back at your post of 12/07. Did you do a compression test? I had very similar blow by issues and it turned out to be broken rings. I hope not but you may be treating a symptom and not the problem with the vent kit.
        Dan

Comment

• msmith10
          Afourian MVP
          • Jun 2006

This spring I ran the crankcase vent to the blower duct exactly as Steve M has suggested. It works great. I kept the vent hose as short as possible to maximize draw, and my exhaust duct is right under the oil pan near the carb, which kept the total length of the crankcase vent hose to about 1-1/2 feet. It creates enough suction that there is actually a slight airflow into the oil fill when the cap is removed. No more fumes in the cabin.
          Mark Smith
          1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

• High Hopes
            Afourian MVP
            • Feb 2008

Good news! Thanks for the feedback M Smith. -Steve M

Comment

Working...
            X