X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2dogsnight
    • Jun 2012

thank you 67c...good information's!
    Couldn't wait and took the pump apart....
    -shaft bend
    -after pressing the pump gear off the shaft discovered sheered key....
    looking into making news shaft.....
    Attached Files

Comment

• 2dogsnight
      • Jun 2012

little shaft is bend and twisted.....also the oil pump gear sheered the key....
      Attached Files

Comment

• ILikeRust
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2010

I've been gone from the forum long enough that I had forgotten about this boat. She's looking right sweet!

I love it. I can just see myself in a nice old wooden boat like that, with an A4 rumbling steadily along, cruising up the Piankatank River. Nice way to spend the day - motor up some creek, drop anchor, do a little fishing, sip some beer, take a nap, maybe take a swim, motor back to the ramp at a stately pace...
        - Bill T.
        - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• ILikeRust
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2010

But I'd like to know how the hell an oil pump shaft gets bent like that! The only thing I can think of is if a chunk of metal gets in between the gears or something...
          - Bill T.
          - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

$150 in the online catalog. Gets you replacement shaft and gears.
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California
            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
              Afourian MVP
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ILikeRust View Post
              But I'd like to know how the hell an oil pump shaft gets bent like that! The only thing I can think of is if a chunk of metal gets in between the gears or something...
              Me too!

Comment

• 2dogsnight
                • Jun 2012

Hi Guys,
                just got home after another long day.
                ...just found out about your vacation from the forum Ilikerust, and I had exactly the same situation with a sailboat sitting in the marina....and although I was just 10 min away - still I rarely was using the boat....so I sold it and got this boat - I do keep working on it and eventually I will have it in working condition - sometimes just working on it is enough :-).....keeps the dream alive:-)
                back to pump:

ndutton - I did see tha gears and shaft on Moyers web site. Right now I don't know if I will be able to use it....

We took the whole pump apart, and found out why was not working - don't know yet - WHY the failure accured......
                Here is more information's:

#1 shaft was seized in the pump housing on opposite end of the shaft that is visible in the picture......
                as a result of that seizure: # 3 shaft on the left got bend - key way in the pump gear was sheered and the propelling gear was turning the gear shaft without the pump gear turning.......

Pump gears are pressed on shafts....so I can have the shaft made....but the shaft holes in pump housing #1 and #2 are not round anymore - can they be sleeved is the question - need to know what material to use for sleeves - I can have shafts made bigger at that end to compensate for enlarged holes - what should be the tolerance between shaft and the hole in the pump housing...???

Another options: look for parts on e-bay - check with Moyer M for used pump that will fit my early years motor...

thank you for your help guys!!!
                Got to run!!

Wojo
                Attached Files

Comment

• 2dogsnight
                  • Jun 2012

.......I do have a feeling that one way or another the motor will be fixed - it must :-)
                  Attached Files

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by 2dogsnight View Post
                    Hi Guys,
                    just got home after another long day.
                    ...just found out about your vacation from the forum Ilikerust, and I had exactly the same situation with a sailboat sitting in the marina....and although I was just 10 min away - still I rarely was using the boat....so I sold it and got this boat - I do keep working on it and eventually I will have it in working condition - sometimes just working on it is enough :-).....keeps the dream alive:-)
                    back to pump:

ndutton - I did see tha gears and shaft on Moyers web site. Right now I don't know if I will be able to use it....

We took the whole pump apart, and found out why was not working - don't know yet - WHY the failure accured......
                    Here is more information's:

#1 shaft was seized in the pump housing on opposite end of the shaft that is visible in the picture......
                    as a result of that seizure: # 3 shaft on the left got bend - key way in the pump gear was sheered and the propelling gear was turning the gear shaft without the pump gear turning.......

Pump gears are pressed on shafts....so I can have the shaft made....but the shaft holes in pump housing #1 and #2 are not round anymore - can they be sleeved is the question - need to know what material to use for sleeves - I can have shafts made bigger at that end to compensate for enlarged holes - what should be the tolerance between shaft and the hole in the pump housing...???

Another options: look for parts on e-bay - check with Moyer M for used pump that will fit my early years motor...

thank you for your help guys!!!
                    Got to run!!

Wojo

A good machinist could probably re-sleeve those bores back to their original diameter - aluminium/bronze like C95400 would be a good choice.

Depending upon the machinist it might be cheaper to go the MMI route?

The master former British tool & die guy that did work for me on my boat and motorcycle died a couple of months back...it's going to be really difficult to find someone like him again.

Below is the last piece of work he did for me before dying - a threaded bronze extension for the throttle control on my vessel.

Attached Files
                    Last edited by 67c&ccorv; 01-21-2015, 06:36 PM.

Comment

• 2dogsnight
                      • Jun 2012

I work in a machine shop - tool and cutter grinder and no stranger to manual lathes and mills.....but, one of our machinist just set up his home shop, and wanted to take a shot at fixing my oil pump.
                      After numerous conversations with Kenny and Don, I am chewing on the plan to get new oversized pump gears. Those gears are coming on oversized shafts also. My friend will be looking into the whole process over the weekend and determined if he can do it in his little shop. If not, I will send the pump to Kenny.
                      They also determined that my pump was rebuilder once already - hence the key ways in shafts and gears - factory configuration is - pump gear and shaft is a one piece.
                      Moyer's Marine has been extremely helpful throughout this whole process, can't thank them enough!!

67C - good information about bushing material - thank you !
                      Your throttle set up looks great......and yes, good machinists are hard to find.

ILikeRust - my 18' boat design is called Fontana - I have an old magazine that has building plans for this boat in it - just saying

Wojo

Comment

• 2dogsnight
                        • Jun 2012

friend just send me a picture of his little mill with my oil pump in the vise.....so looks like he is saying that the rebuild is possible
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Rod Worrell
                          • Oct 2004

Fontana

By any chance is the magazine published by Popular Mechanics? I had one 50 years ago, with no cover and I wore out the rest, because it was only about building your own boat and had a couple dozen plans. One of the "bigger" boats was the Fontana, which, now that the name was mentioned in the exchange, looked just like this one. The name Fontana was derived because of the creation of the Tennessee Valley Authority and particularly of building the Fontana Dam. Sorry I don't have the magazine any more - wore it out poring over all the boat plans and redesigning them to be what I dreamed about back then as a kid.

Rod Worrell
                          1979 Catalina 30 #1337 - Dixie

Comment

• 2dogsnight
                            • Jun 2012

Rod - yes it was published in a magazine. When I bought the boat the owner family give me that magazine too :-)
                            Got another one off e-bay
                            Romantic Comedy - yes, this is exactly what I have !! The cabin was redesign, and I am planning to make it around a foot higher - with the motor is' pretty hard to get in there, plus there is no seats, and I would like to make that area usable, build a wheelhouse - and as it is right now is not

Comment

• Rod Worrell
                              • Oct 2004

Wooden Boats

The same "magazine" also had plans for a sailboat of about 24 feet if I recall (could have been smaller). Good reading for a 10 year old who dreamed of going to sea. Came true on 16th birthday with a 12 ft lapstrake wooden "project" sailboat with rusty trailer. Kept me busy all summer restoring her. Fond memories that I'm sure each of you also have.

Rod Worrell
                              1979 Catalina 30 #1337 - Dixie

Comment

Working...
                              X