X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • old-sailer
    • Nov 2011

Another stupid question

Like most of you I have that big round switch that says 1, 2, off, both... mine is made by GUILD.

My question is: Does this allow the batteries to be charged in all positions when connected to 110 power at the dock? If I turn the switch to "off" should it still charge or does "off" also shut off the battery charging circuit?

My problem is that the batteries are being over charged (losing electrolyte) and I thought this switch and it's charging unit would shut off when the batteries get fully charged but it doesn't appear to. I'm wonder if I turn the big round switch to "off" if it should shut off or is mine malfunctioning.
    Mike
    1980 30' C&C MK1
  • Carl-T705
    • Jul 2011

It is a battery selector switch. It has one function, to select which battery is being either drawn upon or charged. If you have a 110 battery charger it would depend how it is wired as to whether the charger can charge all batteries or a select battery. A wiring schematic of the charging system would be necessary to answer your question more specifically.

Comment

• old-sailer
      • Nov 2011

No battery charger. When you plug the boat in to 110 the batteries are charged automatically. I'm just wondering if the selector switch has anything to do with this function. The batteries are being over charged and I assume, maybe incorrectly, that this is also a function of the switch as it has a big block on the back side of it where the 110 is also connected. So if I turn the switch off does this also shut off the charging?? Mine continues to charge even in the OFF position... is this normal or a malfunction? The manual does not tell me this.

Originally posted by Carl-T705 View Post
      It is a battery selector switch. It has one function, to select which battery is being either drawn upon or charged. If you have a 110 battery charger it would depend how it is wired as to whether the charger can charge all batteries or a select battery. A wiring schematic of the charging system would be necessary to answer your question more specifically.
      Last edited by old-sailer; 08-10-2013, 10:50 PM.
      Mike
      1980 30' C&C MK1

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

How about some pictures, front and back?
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Nick duBois
          • Mar 2008

Mike,

My system runs in a manner that when I flip the AC switch it turns on the 110 power in the boat. The plugs that carry that power become active. My 12 volt system is separate and my big battery switch will only run the 12 volt system. I can't run 110 through it. You must have a charger of some sort wired in there somewhere. I can charge the batteries off my onboard charger no matter if the battery selector switch is on or off as it is a separate system that powers it.
          Nick duBois
          "Irish Rover"
          Catalina 27 #4459
          Halifax, NS Canada

Comment

• romantic comedy
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2007

Mike, are you saying that the batteries are connected to the 110 shore power?

You can only charge the batteries with a charger, or inverter, or maybe some other "device" that converts 110 ac, to "12 volts" dc.

Comment

• tenders
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2007

Some battery chargers connect to both batteries. Some battery chargers just connect to one battery.

If your charger connects to both, then whenever the charger has AC power, it's highly likely that it's going to charge the batteries regardless of the position of your DC switch. It would be very odd for the charger to be wired in downstream of that switch - that would mean that the DC circuits are energized and cannot be turned off whenever the boat is plugged into AC, and that the battery charges only when the switch is not off.

If your charger is connected to just one battery, which can be the case if it's an automotive charger clipped onto one battery's terminals, then only that battery gets charged whether the switch is on OFF, 1, or 2. UNLESS you have "both" selected - then both batteries get charged.

This is easier to see than to explain. Follow the leads of your charger to the battery, and from there to the 1-2-ALL switch and it will be clear.

Comment

• Carl-T705
                • Jul 2011

You must have a 110 battery charger somewhere on this vessel. You can't PLug 110 volts into a 12 volt battery. My point is the charger must be wired somewhere before or after the selector switch, If the charger is reading the voltage off one battery and charging the other battery you would certainly have an over charging situation that could lead to explosion or fire. I would gain a better knowledge of what you have before using this system again. Batteries are best charged individually, although this rarely happens on a multi- battery system

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

Before we go too far astray, are any of you familiar with the Guild battery switch? I'm not which is why I asked for pictures. I'm having problems with the system as described but I want to learn more before offering advice.

With boats you never know. It's not outside the realm of possibility that some innovative company long ago offered a battery switch with an integral transformer/rectifier for charging. It would fit the description old-sailer provided.
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California
                  prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                  Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Carl-T705
                    • Jul 2011

Must be very old then, because the web brings up zip when googled. Some high end power inverters are both inverters and chargers.

Comment

• roadnsky
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Carl-T705 View Post
                      Must be very old then, because the web brings up zip when googled...
                      I had the same result (as I'm sure many others did)

Originally posted by old-sailer View Post
                      Like most of you I have that big round switch that says 1, 2, off, both... 1980 30' C&C MK1
                      His boat is 1980 Vintage as is mine.
                      I used to have the GUEST selector as original equipment.
                      (It's since been replaced)
                      Mike, does your Battery Selector Switch look like this?

Anyone else out there have a GUILD switch?

Just GUESSing here...
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by roadnsky; 08-11-2013, 02:35 PM.
                      -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                      sigpic
                      1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• old-sailer
                        • Nov 2011

The back of the roundy switch has a large block on it... maybe 6 inches square. I'm assuming this is a charger of sorts. When I plug into 110 the batteries get charged.

When I said previous no charger I meant no separate charger.

Originally posted by romantic comedy View Post
                        Mike, are you saying that the batteries are connected to the 110 shore power?

You can only charge the batteries with a charger, or inverter, or maybe some other "device" that converts 110 ac, to "12 volts" dc.
                        Mike
                        1980 30' C&C MK1

Comment

• old-sailer
                          • Nov 2011

ahhh... this is what I think it is... so it should then charge as soon as shore power is attached.

It seems it not smart enough to shut off when the batteries are full and over charges them. I may try to by pass it and add my own smart tender.

Originally posted by tenders View Post
                          Some battery chargers connect to both batteries. Some battery chargers just connect to one battery.

If your charger connects to both, then whenever the charger has AC power, it's highly likely that it's going to charge the batteries regardless of the position of your DC switch. It would be very odd for the charger to be wired in downstream of that switch - that would mean that the DC circuits are energized and cannot be turned off whenever the boat is plugged into AC, and that the battery charges only when the switch is not off.

If your charger is connected to just one battery, which can be the case if it's an automotive charger clipped onto one battery's terminals, then only that battery gets charged whether the switch is on OFF, 1, or 2. UNLESS you have "both" selected - then both batteries get charged.

This is easier to see than to explain. Follow the leads of your charger to the battery, and from there to the 1-2-ALL switch and it will be clear.
                          Mike
                          1980 30' C&C MK1

Comment

• old-sailer
                            • Nov 2011

Yes my switch is just like that... round orange but where yours say Guest mine say Guild... It's tucked up under the lip where you step in from the companionway. When I open the locker on the port side there's an electical panel with all the connections from 3 banks of breakers and the back of the round switch which is maybe 6 inches square and connects to the batteries. The 110 line also connects to this block which is why I am guessing this big lump on the back of the switch is a selector and charger.

I too have looked high and dry for info on this damn thing and came up empty. I have all the docks for every thing on this bat provided by the previous owner but nothing on the switch... damn.

I'll probably remove it and replace with the Guest as it appears the same then mount my own tenders to do the job properly.

Originally posted by roadnsky View Post
                            I had the same result (as I'm sure many others did)

His boat is 1980 Vintage as is mine.
                            I used to have the GUEST selector as original equipment.
                            (It's since been replaced)
                            Mike, does your Battery Selector Switch look like this?

Anyone else out there have a GUILD switch?

Just GUESSing here...
                            Mike
                            1980 30' C&C MK1

Comment

Working...
                            X