X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • azazzera
    • Aug 2014

To paint or not to paint

I've been cleaning a carb in a total engine rebuild and find the polished aluminum finish to be very pleasing to my eye. My thought was to paint it with a high temp clear coat. What are the general thoughts out there about doing this. I also have been thinking about what color to pain the engine. I would like to choos a color that will be easy to see leaks and rust etc. one question is sould I paint these parts, including the carb when they are apart or reassembled. What is the proper thing to do. What brand of paint is recommended. What temp should I look for in a pain for an a4.

Thanks.
  • marthur
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2004

Here are a few thoughts:

What color to paint? That will stir up some debate. I used navy grey on my spare motor because it shows leaks and rust so well. My original is still Universal Bronze but that may be changing. The light colored paint is very nice for maintenance.

I used high temperature engine paint for the motor. I have used the rattle can paints (duplicolor) available at my local hardware store, which has held up pretty well. Our sponsor also offers a very nice paint that will match the original engine color for brush or in spray cans.

As for the carb, I have painted mine. You MUST use a primer rated for aluminum if you paint the carb, distributor, mechanical fuel pump or other aluminum part. Many paints will not properly cure if put on bare aluminum. For the rest of the engine, I used a rust converting primer after a good wire brushing and VERY thorough cleaning. Followed that with a primer and then paint.

I believe that the motors were originally painted after assembly. That is why my carb only had paint on one side : )
    Mike

Comment

• Administrator
      MMI Webmaster
      • Oct 2004

Break the mold! White?!

Bill

Comment

• marthur
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2004

Hee is a diesel in Bill's suggested white from the inter-webs. Looks kind of nice!
        Mike

Comment

• BadaBing
          • Jul 2007

There is a white "professionally rebuilt" A4 listed on Craigslist central NJ . Looks like it is in a Cat30. Looks sharp. Offered for 3500 a d the seller will assist with removal.claims to have less than 10 hours.
          Bill
          1974, Tartan 30, Unchained Melody
          www.CanvasWorks.US

Comment

• celtic sea
            • Oct 2012

Happy Holidays all, I was wondering about color to spruce up my 1973 A4. At some point in it's life by a po. it must of been painted, it now red, I assume when it was new it was the gold color. I was thinking white myself, I think this would really help identify any leaks, etc. I think nothing on the aluminum carb.or other plastic parts.or just touch up red and move on..lol.
            John
            Celtic Sea Ericson 27
            Atomic 4

Comment

Working...
            X