X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rbyham
    • Jan 2013

Pulling plug wires?

I frequently see posts here that suggest pulling plug wires to diagnose engine problems. My question relates to safety. It is my understanding that whenever pulling plugs on a running engine, you should pull from the distributor end rather than the plug end. The reason being that if pulled from the plug end, that spark is still seeking ground and your hand/body becomes the quickest route and can result in a serious jolt. Grabbing the distributor end of necessity removes the plug form the source of the spark and present no danger of shock. Am I correct in this? Thanks.
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Rbyham, I've been knocked on my duff both ways more than once!!! You are just closer to being a ground when handling the plug end and if you are touching a grounded surface zappo. A good way to perform this check is to get the boots loose at either end first and then handle with an insulated plug wire puller (available at most parts houses) or insulated gloves, certainly makes it easier. Also lubing the plug wore ends with "di-electric" silicone will really help and increases wire life and keeps plug temps more consistent while keeping moisture out!!!!

Dave Neptune

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Wear an oven mitt
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • May 2010

Admission: I've stayed away from plug wires since my cousin showed me how to stop the lawnmower engine by holding down the little metal lever next to the plug. With my finger. Then he told to do it next time with a screwdriver.
        Jeff

sigpic
        S/V Bunny Planet
        1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

Working...
        X