X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rth365
    • Oct 2008

Shift Lever loose/stripped cross shaft

I just replaced my shift cable on my A-4. While trying to adjust it...I came to the realization that my shift lever was held in place on the cross shaft by the set screw only. There is no woodruff key installed and now the set screw has worn away enough that I can't tighten it any further. I've read that it is nearly impossible to replace the cross shaft while the engine is in the boat. \
    Anyone have any ideas...longer set screw? Here are some pictures to show what I'm dealing with.

• msmith10
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2006

I sure wouldn't replace the cross shaft. Maybe I'm missing the problem here, but it looks like you could take a dremel tool with a fiber reinforced cutting wheel, clean out the woodruff key slot, and replace the woodruff key. You could then use a longer set screw if needed, or redrill and retap for a larger set screw if the shift lever threads are stripped.
    Mark Smith
    1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2008

There is no way the set screw will hold the shift lever in place for anything other than a temporary fix.

Cleaning out the woodruff key slot with a needle file and hopefully replacing it with a new one is about your only choice. If the slot is enlargened too much you can always use some sort of epoxy metal fill to close up the gaps when it all goes together.

Good luck!

Comment

• rth365
        • Oct 2008

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to try to clean up the slot. I'm surprised the set screw lasted as long as it did. Any idea if Moyer stocks woodruff keys and longer set screws?
        Thanks
        Bob

Comment

• msmith10
          Afourian MVP
          • Jun 2006

Those should be off-the-shelf hardware items.
          You may need to file/grind down an oversized woodruff key depending on what you do with the slot. This shouldn't be a tough job.
          Mark Smith
          1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

• edwardc
            Afourian MVP
            • Aug 2009

Check out McMaster-Carr for keys:

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

They also have keyseat cutters:

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.
            @(^.^)@ Ed
            1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
            with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X