X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daveinrenton
    • Mar 2006

Persistant gas leak

Don: The last work on my engine was to integrate the in-line fuel filter and replace gaskets in the carburator and flange connection to the engine. While I had the carb apart, I checked the float assembly, cleaned it and all looked well (having recalled your thought that the float valve may be allowing fuel to leak through to the return line at the bottom of the carburator). After completing all and reassembling, I still have a small drip leak. I did notice one strange thing when I put the in-line filter on. When I replaced the fitting on the fuel pump, the unit was gurgling fuel out of the hole from gravity. Is there a flow preventer seal in the pump that may be blown?

For obvious safety reasons, I have to resolve this issue. Is it time to replace the pump and/or the carburator or are there some less drastic possible solutions?

Dave
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Dave,

I can't seem to find your previous message, so I can't be completely sure of your initial symptoms, but if it's simply the case that fuel is dripping out from the bottom of the intake throat of your carburetor, I'd replace the needle and seat of the float valve before replacing the whole carburetor.

As long as your fuel tank is higher than the fuel pump, fuel will gravity feed through the pump. This condition is normal and does not indicate a problem with the pump.

Don

Comment

• daveinrenton
      • Mar 2006

Thank you Don. That's a relief on the pump. The engine runs extremely well and it appears that the float seal is completely relied upon to resist the gravity flow from the pump. That will be the next fix.

Comment

Working...
      X