Low P.Oil switch, so, what is the big deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlos Barberis
    • Jan 2010

Low P.Oil switch, so, what is the big deal?

Recently I had a long ordeal with my A4 not wanting to start, after my marina
    mechanic, changed the carburator, the coil and spark plugs, eventually was able to get the engine running and starting well, by by-passing the low oil
    filter pressure switch. My engine does have an electicral fuel pump and an Indigo oil filter
    So now, what do I do?
    Do I enjoy that my A4 starts easily with a by-passed low oil filter, or try to
    resolve whatever is wrong with that switch.
  • ArtJ
    • Sep 2009

Do not operate the engine without the oil pressue safety switch operating.
    It could be very dangerous to do so. Please acertain that you don't actually
    have low oil pressure, (if so, check oil, oil pressure adjustment,and worse,
    major engine failure internally). check that the wires to the pressure safety
    switch are connected properly and not open or inermittant. Measure with
    a voltmeter to see if you have +12V to the switch. Replace the
    Oil pressure switch once the preceeding has been checked.

See other postings for more details and Moyer on line catalog for more details
    and how to install.

Regards

Comment

• roadnsky
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2008

Carlos-
      Is there an in-line FUSE on the low oil pressure circuit? (see pic)
      Typically this is a 5A fuse and if it is blown, corroded or not seated, it would be another explanation for your engine not starting...
      Attached Files
      -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
      sigpic
      1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

oil pressure? who needs oil pressure?!?!?!?!?

Mine reads 3 or 4 PSI on the gauge when it starts and warms up..if i had a switch I am sure it would not run.

YMMV...actually, I worry about my oil pressure, and am trying to figure out how to get it higher...

Do you have an oil pressure gauge?
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• Carlos Barberis
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
          oil pressure? who needs oil pressure?!?!?!?!?

Mine reads 3 or 4 PSI on the gauge when it starts and warms up..if i had a switch I am sure it would not run.

YMMV...actually, I worry about my oil pressure, and am trying to figure out how to get it higher...

Do you have an oil pressure gauge?
          Further explanation requested:
          Are you saying that you have an electric pump and no L.O.P. switch?

And yes, I have a oil pressure gauge, and reads a high pressure, when
          running. (over 60)

Comment

• roadnsky
            Afourian MVP
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by roadnsky View Post
            Is there an in-line FUSE on the low oil pressure circuit?
            Carlos-
            What about that fuse?
            -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
            sigpic
            1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

Carlos,

I have a mechanical fuel pump and no switch to shut it down if pressure is low...

Since I don't actually know the issue with my low pressure, I try to take it easy on the motor until I see the pressure gauge move up...but that takes 30 minutes or more...

The next two questions I have is, do you trust your pressure gauge, and as Jerry asked, are all the fuses in the system good?

Also, welcome to the forum...we'll do what we can to help....I'd love to see 60 PSI on my oil pressure....the most I've ever seen is about 40 when I rev it to 3,000 RPM in neutral!!!!!
              -Shawn
              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
              sigpic

Comment

• thatch
                Afourian MVP
                • Dec 2009

low oil pressure switch test

Carlos, Welcome to the forum.
                To test the low oil pressure switch temporarily place a jumper wire accross the the switch and start the engine as you have indicated you could do. Then after oil pressure shows on your guage (normally less than about 5 seconds) remove the jumper. If the engine continues to run then the pressure switch is probably ok. If the engine dies then the switch or the wiring is defective. If the temporary jumper wire test works the easiest cure for your situation would be to add a momentary contact switch (normally a pushbutton) next to your starter switch wired in parallel to the to the low oil pressure safety switch which you can depress just when starting.
                Final note; On Atomic 4 engines there is normally enough fuel left in the carburator bowl from previous running to allow the engine to start and give the oil pressure enough time to build and close the pressure switch allowing the fuel pump to begin doing it's job. Hope this helps.
                Regards, Tom

Comment

Working...
                X