• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpian0923
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2010

Who are you?

So, recent posts about "as I envisioned him" have prompted me to start this thread.

In the picture below is me and two frequent boat companions (left is ex-girlfriend Jo, right is her best friend Carla). Behind us is the sun setting behind Point Loma, San Diego, CA. We had a couple of glasses of Merlot by this point.

Anyone else care to share who they are?

Also, here is my boat. Made the video for my mom (she gets sea sick and can't come on it).
    [YOUTUBE]20zoNujIe_Q[/YOUTUBE]

This is what I do for a living: 4 of the dogs are mine.
    [YOUTUBE]FhNiK_LOwGY[/YOUTUBE]
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jpian0923; 11-05-2011, 05:06 AM.
    "Jim"
    S/V "Ahoi"
    1967 Islander 29
    Harbor Island, San Diego
    2/7/67 A4 Engine Block date
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Here's a few photos:
    Noah (the boy) and Lilly (the dog) are frequent crew members.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by joe_db; 11-05-2011, 11:01 AM.
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

Bow wow

Hey Joe, your dog looks just like mine ah Skippy! My girl Gizmo goes everywhere with me on the boat and is far better seasoned for bad weather than any other family member. We have also been in the Log a few times in the pets on baord photos, twice with her on the bow of my rowing dinghy. I have had Skippy's for over 30 years now and have been very fortunate to get a few friendly ones. Gizz is now going on 14 and goes nuts when she sees my "sea bag" come out of the closset. I also sailed for many years with a matched set we bread a bit Schooner (friendly) & Mizzen (a real bitch to all but us). Miz was accidentally poisened at around 12 and Schooner sailed with me for 17 years.
      No idea as to the others though.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Another Schipperke fan
        Lilly is half Schipperke and half German Sheppard. Violet is a Belgian Sheppard. Lilly is a very good huntress. She catches rabbits, possums, a raccoon,and one chicken that I made her release. That was one mad chicken LOL
        Here are two A4 powered boats rafted together, Coquina and Dream On.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by joe_db; 11-05-2011, 12:56 PM.
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

• ILikeRust
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2010

I wasn't going to post this one, since I don't think it's a good pic of me. First, I'm kinda squinting. Second, it makes me look even fatter than I am.

But it's the most recent one I've got - this is me at the tiller of that lovely little yawl last weekend in Chestertown - I was concentrating on not getting run over by the Kalmar Nyckel:

- Bill T.
          - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• sastanley
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2008

Bill..I recognize that boat! how cool was that to go sailing on the good ship Spartina! - Dude, you look like you are about 25!

I've posted this one here before. (Bill the admin, I learned the trick to re-post previously uploaded pics using the [img] tag to save server space )

This is me and the wife taken in 2010 sometime....nope---edit...fall 2009, because I don't have the new backstay split higher up, nor the backstay 'squeezer' adjuster which I installed winter 2009-2010 with the new standing rigging...

Anyway, the sparkling sun makes the boat look a lot better than in real life!

Last edited by sastanley; 11-06-2011, 12:07 AM. Reason: timing adjustments..old rig still installed
            -Shawn
            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
            sigpic

Comment

• lat 64
              Afourian MVP
              • Oct 2008

Shawn, you look like a righteous surfer in that photo.

Here's me and the family in Japan this past May. A shogun has to look with steely eyes to keep the peace. We are scarfing some beef-bowl noodles at a fast food shop in Tokyo.
              I don't know when we could ever afford to return, but I loved the place and will surely try to get back some day.
              Hi all, nice to meet you,
              Russ
              Attached Files
              sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• sastanley
                Afourian MVP
                • Sep 2008

russ...nice pics! Do you speak any Japanese? (I don't...just curious..the only country I've been to (besides English speaking Caribbean countries) was France..my 3 years of French in high school helped...but not much.)

BTW - my surfing experience includes a 'boogie board' on the Outer Banks....& that's about it. It is a much better picture of my beautiful wife and the boat, than me.

I do have my 'fancy' Spinlock EA series tiller extension in my hand..I love that thing..the local boat yard guys always give me crap since I have an old cruising boat and the same hi-tech tiller extension as my racing buddy that we go race with in Key West every winter on his Farr/Mumm 30.
                Last edited by sastanley; 11-06-2011, 12:08 AM.
                -Shawn
                "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                sigpic

Comment

• ILikeRust
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
                  how cool was that to go sailing on the good ship Spartina!
                  Answer: very! I was totally psyched. Steve is a nice, easy-going guy, too. We had a nice chat while we were out there tacking up and down the river. He took pics while I steered.

Dude, you look like you are about 25!
                  Add 20 to that and you'll have the right answer.

In many ways, I feel like I'm still 19. Sometimes I feel like I'm 65...
                  - Bill T.
                  - Richmond, VA

Comment

• ILikeRust
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by lat 64 View Post
                    Here's me and the family in Japan this past May.
                    Konichiwa!

When I was 15 years old, I went to Japan on an International Rotary exchange trip. I was there for a month and lived with five different families, about 5-6 days at a time, during the month. We spent the month mostly on the island of Shikoku.

I learned a few words - only remember a few now. I can still count to 10 and say "good morning" (ohayou gozaimasu), "good afternoon" (konichiwa), "good evening" (konbanwa), "good night" (oyasuminasai). Of course everyone knows "good bye" (sayonara).

And please and thank you, which are very important, since the Japanese are so polite and formal. Please is "dozo" and thank you is "arigato" (or, slightly more formally, for "thank you very much" is "domo arigato" (as in the song "Mr. Roboto" by Queen). When someone says "arigato", the response usually is "dozo."

My older daughter would die to go to Japan. She is a huge Miyazaki fan and a fan of manga and anime in general.
                    - Bill T.
                    - Richmond, VA

Comment

• David Masury
                      • Oct 2004

Well, I had to join this fun ... here is a picture of me, my boat and the A4 (hidden)

David
                      Attached Files

Comment

• TomG
                        Afourian MVP Emeritus
                        • Nov 2010

I do have my 'fancy' Spinlock EA series tiller extension in my hand..I love that thing..the local boat yard guys always give me crap since I have an old cruising boat and the same hi-tech tiller extension as my racing buddy that we go race with in Key West every winter on his Farr/Mumm 30.
                        Shawn,

I guess you didn't know this, but that is NOT a tiller extension.

It's a high-tech air guitar!

Here's my 6-year-old giving a demo:

Tom
                        "Patina"
                        1977 Tartan 30
                        Repowered with MMI A-4 2008

Comment

• lat 64
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by ILikeRust View Post
                          Konichiwa!

I learned a few words - only remember a few now. ...

My older daughter would die to go to Japan. She is a huge Miyazaki fan and a fan of manga and anime in general.
                          You forgot the most important word; "kampai!" Something like "bottoms up!" or drink up.

We met a bunch of folks through Labo International Exchange: http://labo-exchange.com/
                          Give this link to your daughter. Pm me if you want more info. They are real good folks. We have hosted a few women and a middle-school girl through this outfit and now we have great friends in Japan.

Tom, It looks like we should; be afraid, very afraid!
                          sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• TomG
                            Afourian MVP Emeritus
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by lat 64 View Post

Tom, It looks like we should; be afraid, very afraid!
                            Russ, if you only knew...

That's Sam, my six-year-old. He very well could be the funniest human that I know. He's very talented with the Spinlock Tiller Air Guitar and equally adept at the Friar Tuck Boathook Staff, and spins a mean crab net as well.

We just hope he uses his powers for good...
                            Tom
                            "Patina"
                            1977 Tartan 30
                            Repowered with MMI A-4 2008

Comment

• Cool Beans
                              • Mar 2011

Here is a pic of me at the helm last year. . .I didn't then, but I shave a bit more often now And I'm single!! **hint hint, cough cough, stomp stomp**

Comment

Working...
                              X