• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pallen58
    • Oct 2009

Fuel System re-build

I have a 1978 Ericson with the A4.
    It runs really well and I have been slowly upgrading it.
    Before the season starts I want to make some changes to the fuel system.
    Right now the original fuel/water seperator is on the boat so it is a no brainer to get the Racor.
    There is only 1 shut off valve. It is downstream from the seperator and upstream from the electric fuel pump.
    Should I add a shut off valve at the tank?
    Kansas has allowed E10 to be sold without labeling the pumps so I have 5-10 gallons of E10 in tank. The is a source of "real" gas nearby.
    I plan to drain the tank. Should I manually drain it from the filler port or use the electric pump?
    I plan to replace all the gas lines after I do that.
    I plan to clean the carb as well.
    Any pointers there would be a great help.
    I have never done anything like that but see lots of info here.
    Thanks
    Pat
  • CalebD
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

Hand pump

I used this hand pump to drain the fuel from our gas tank this spring: http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...5206&id=119134
    No sparks possible. Just a bunch of pumping. I pumped out from the filler cap.

You might be surprised at the crud contained in the last gallon or so of fuel in the tank. I pumped about 10 gallons of fuel out of our 20 gallon tank. The final 2 gallons I pumped into opaque/clear 1 gallon empty ant-freeze bottles. After they settled for a bit you could see that each gallon had nearly a half gallon of crud floating under the fuel.
    Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
    A4 and boat are from 1967

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by CalebD View Post
      I used this hand pump to drain the fuel from our gas tank this spring: http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...5206&id=119134
      No sparks possible. Just a bunch of pumping. I pumped out from the filler cap.

You might be surprised at the crud contained in the last gallon or so of fuel in the tank. I pumped about 10 gallons of fuel out of our 20 gallon tank. The final 2 gallons I pumped into opaque/clear 1 gallon empty ant-freeze bottles. After they settled for a bit you could see that each gallon had nearly a half gallon of crud floating under the fuel.

Caleb;

Note: This Pump is Not designed for the transfer of Gasoline

Comment

• CalebD
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2007

Originally posted by 67c&ccorv View Post
        Caleb;

Note: This Pump is Not designed for the transfer of Gasoline

Good eyes Jerry. I don't know how I missed that note. I might not have bought this little pump had I seen that but I did and I used it to pump about 10 gallons of gasoline with it without blowing up. It worked flawlessly.

I was a little worried about static electricity building up so I pumped it pretty slowly.

The note says that it is "Not designed" for "Gasoline". It does not say that it will not work with gasoline. It is rated for diesel fuel though. I should probably pump some diesel fuel or oil through it as the E10 gas may eat up the sensitive inner flappers, plungers and the like if left exposed for too long.

Thanks for the "heads up!"
        Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
        A4 and boat are from 1967

Comment

Working...
        X