• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Originally posted by SailingReckless View Post
    I had the key turned on, without cranking the engine over yet that day, for probably 5 minutes and the coil (ignition/distributor?) was hot to touch.
    Regardless of whether or not the coil was involved in the original problem, this episode has damaged it so it needs to be replaced too. In its current damaged condition you can expect maybe 45 minutes of run time before problems emerge. With a points style ignition and proper dwell, probably a little bit longer.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• SailingReckless
      • Oct 2018

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
      Regardless of whether or not the coil was involved in the original problem, this episode has damaged it so it needs to be replaced too. In its current damaged condition you can expect maybe 45 minutes of run time before problems emerge. With a points style ignition and proper dwell, probably a little bit longer.
      Do you say it’s damaged because with the key on it’s getting hot?

Comment

• lat 64
        Afourian MVP
        • Oct 2008

S.R.,
        Im glad you got something from the video.

So much to digest at first, so take it one problem at a time. Then, start a new thread with the next issue.
        As for the handprint on forehead thing(🤦🏻*♀️), not an issue on this forum. Your willingness to learn and articulate your questions will get some great feedback. As they say" there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers". We will try to avoid stupid answers for you😜.

Photos are helpful for us to assess your system(s).

I predict that even you will be contributing to help a newbie in a couple months.

Re: black fuel line, that's probably rubber. Make sure its USCG approved type for gasoline on boats.

Cheers,

Russ
        sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Do you say it’s damaged because with the key on it’s getting hot?
          Exactly. Under normal running conditions the coil is being switched on and off but that is not the case when the key is left on and the engine is not running. With the coil switched on for a prolonged period it keeps getting hotter and hotter much like a soldering iron to the point that the insulation on the coil's internal windings becomes damaged. After cooling the coil usually returns to operation but is now less tolerant of heat, even normal operating heat.

We don't know how hot your coil got because "hot to touch" is not an accurate measurement but 5 minutes time is certainly enough for damage so at this time it is prudent to make certain you have a coil in good condition which by your report, this one cannot be trusted.

You might also consider Moyer's basic oil pressure and temperature alarm system. With the key on and the engine off you'll have no oil pressure which will cause the buzzer to alert you.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California

Comment

• Sam
            Afourian MVP
            • Apr 2010

I had similar problem a few years back where the engine started and ran fine for about 2 -4 min or so then just died as if the ignition was shut off. Checked points, fuel, compression, spark, extra fuel source, changed coil etc - no joy. An older [if possible] harbor mate suggested changing out the condenser - solved the problem, now I always carry a couple of spares [and coil] - not sure they are made as good as they used to be.

Comment

• SailingReckless
              • Oct 2018

Originally posted by Sam View Post
              I had similar problem a few years back where the engine started and ran fine for about 2 -4 min or so then just died as if the ignition was shut off. Checked points, fuel, compression, spark, extra fuel source, changed coil etc - no joy. An older [if possible] harbor mate suggested changing out the condenser - solved the problem, now I always carry a couple of spares [and coil] - not sure they are made as good as they used to be.
              Yessssss! Success! Spent the night on the boat last night. First thing this morning, as soon as the parts store opened, I picked up a new coil. Put it on and........no stalling!

Now to move on to the next issue
              So much white smoke coming out of the exhaust

THANK YOU ALL SOOOO MUCH

Comment

• ndutton
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

Please tell us about the new coil (brand and model, internal resistance).
                Neil
                1977 Catalina 30
                San Pedro, California

Comment

• SailingReckless
                  • Oct 2018

I don't see a brand name on it or the box it came in.
                  The part number is 18-5435. The box reads (has internal resistor) Replaces Crusader 41080. I paid $54.99 at the local marine supply.

Comment

• ndutton
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

The box reads (has internal resistor) Replaces Crusader 41080.
                    Bingo! Internal resistance is 2.70 ~ 3.36 Ohms, excellent for the A4 points ignition application. Well done.
                    Neil
                    1977 Catalina 30
                    San Pedro, California

Comment

• SailingReckless
                      • Oct 2018

[ATTACH]14238
                      [/ATTACH]
                      I don't see a brand name on it or the box it came in.
                      The part number is 18-5435. The box reads (has internal resistor) Replaces Crusader 41080. I paid $54.99 at the local marine supply.
                      Here is a pic of the new coil.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• ndutton
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

If you ever upgrade to electronic ignition please talk to us first.
                        Neil
                        1977 Catalina 30
                        San Pedro, California

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                          • Nov 2008

To Prevent Inadvertently Frying The Coil.......

I did notice a couple things yesterday that I’ll mention even though I have no idea if they relate to this. I had the key turned on, without cranking the engine over yet that day, for probably 5 minutes and the coil (ignition/distributor?) was hot to touch.
                          The only time the key is in the slot on my boat is when the engine is running or being cranked.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• SailingReckless
                            • Oct 2018

YouTube- working on the carburetor

[YOUTUBE]Akvty8qAalo[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/Akvty8qAalo[/YOUTUBE]

After I replaced the coil, I took off the carb and cleaned it out, replaced gaskets and put it back on. Thanks again guys!
                            Now I have new problems tho. Still the white smoke in the exhaust and a wire got so hot that it melted���� I have to work all week but when I get back to the boat this weekend I’ll show you which one it is��
                            Last edited by Administrator; 06-04-2019, 06:27 AM. Reason: Please read the instructions on how to post a YouTube video.

Comment

• SailingReckless
                              • Oct 2018

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                              If you ever upgrade to electronic ignition please talk to us first.
                              I will talk to you before I do anything at all now😊✌🏼

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                                Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                                • Nov 2008

SR: Just a quick hint.
                                I watched the carb repair video. Get a piece of 2X4 an set the carb on it, hold the carb with one hand then tighten the screws with the other hand while you are standing over it. You will be able to get more torque and tighten the screws more evenly.
                                When you hold the carb in one hand and tighten with the other it is almost impossible to torque the screws evenly and increases the chance of a cross thread.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

Working...
                                X