X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BunnyPlanet169
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • May 2010

I'm with Shawn - you're almost there, and now you know the fuel system inside and out. Manifolds are available here from MMI and show up on that auction sight from time to time. Three bolts, linkages, and scavenger tube - no big deal.

I looked at the dark side a few years ago. A new Beta was around $8K as I remember, and you also need new wiring, tank, filters, and controls. My boat is worth $5K on a good day to a romantic with bad eyesight. No way can you justify the cost.

You're almost there, and you've gained a lot of knowledge. Persevere.
    Jeff

sigpic
    S/V Bunny Planet
    1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Originally posted by BunnyPlanet169 View Post
      I'm with Shawn - you're almost there, and now you know the fuel system inside and out. Manifolds are available here from MMI and show up on that auction sight from time to time. Three bolts, linkages, and scavenger tube - no big deal.

I looked at the dark side a few years ago. A new Beta was around $8K as I remember, and you also need new wiring, tank, filters, and controls. My boat is worth $5K on a good day to a romantic with bad eyesight. No way can you justify the cost.

You're almost there, and you've gained a lot of knowledge. Persevere.

Right here on this very forum too
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• Fstued
        • Jan 2014

still broken

yes i feel llike I know the fuel delivery system pretty well now. But not wanting toget a new engine I was hoping I canjust change out the manifold. The must be a hole in it some where between the intake ports and the cooling ports. The manifols is rusty like crazy and I couldn't find a gasket on it. So I am confused again. this is becoming a common occurrence. Why no gasket did the last rebuilder just spae it out. Possible. but why didn't he problem arise sooner. I have had the boat 7 yrs and I have rebuilt he carb several times.
        I am still toying with the a new rebuilt engine but the cost scares me away.

ONe more problem I don't know if the fuel pump is working I did get fuel from the tank to the pump using the hand primer but I could never get the fuel to come out of the pump. More confusing. What am I missing ???

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Fstued View Post
          (A)The must be a hole in it some where between the intake ports and the cooling ports. The manifols is rusty like crazy and I couldn't find a gasket on it.

ONe more problem
          I don't know if the fuel pump is working I did get fuel from the tank to the pump using the hand primer but I could never get the fuel to come out of the pump. More confusing. (B)What am I missing ???
          (A) If you think there is a hole in the the manifold confirm it with a pressure test of the manifold water flow area.

(B) A working fuel pump. Sounds like it needs a rebuild.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Fstued
            • Jan 2014

wet exhaust system

Think I have finally figured out the cause of the problem with gunk/salt in carb. After tracking the fuel system and not finding the problem I realized there was water dripping out of the manifold into the carb that was not yet connected.
            Water is coming back up wet exhaust system to the cylinders at least when there is any kind of sea.
            So it seems I need to have a bigger, taller anti-siphon in the exhaust system. Easy solution not so easy installation. Decided to rebuild the engine and have pulled it out so now I can get back there but I still don't fit and I am not sure what will fit in there and stop the problem.
            Any body have any clues on what might work I'll search around this forum and see what I can find Thanks

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
              • Nov 2008

What make and length is your boat?
              A forum member may have one like your's and be able to give you some specific advice R\E the exhaust system. Sometimes previous owners make modification that don't work so well.
              You will get more replies if you start a new thread R\E this problem.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

Working...
              X