X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

#1 Unapproved

single lever engine control?

Can a single lever, dual function control be used with the Atomic 4? I suspect not, because the Atomic 4 reversing gear doesn't have a detent to hold it in reverse. Therefore, once shifted into reverse there would be nothing to keep it in reverse while the control lever was doing throttle duty. Am I off base? A single lever would be nice since I think they automatically force the engine to idle as you pass through neutral while shifting. The concentric throttle shift lever on my Columbia 8.7 is worn and the throttle moves when the shift lever is moved. So shifting to forward tends to race the engine. I have to hold the throttle lever with one hand while shifting with the other, while my third hand holds the tiller!
  • Jim Booth
    • Jan 2005

I forgot my id before so I wasn't logged in. The control I'm looking at is the Vetus SISCO http://www.vetus.com/catalog2005/VET_102_USA05.jpg

I suppose if the control has a detent to hold the reversing gear in reverse it would work. Are other sailboat gearboxes made differently? Meaning, do they have real forward and reverse gears instead of the A4 setup?

thanks,
    Jim

Comment

• Jim Booth
      • Jan 2005

FYI, Here's the reply I got from Vetus:

The vetus unit will not work with the Atomic 4.

Will Heyer
      Vetus Den Ouden, Inc.
      7251 National Dr.
      Hanover Md. 21076
      Voice: 410-712-0740
      Fax: 410-712-0985
      VETUS is a leading innovator in the manufacture of products for leisure craft and small commercial vessels. Make boating easy and enjoyable..

Comment

Working...
      X