• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Dialing in a conventional stuffing box

Following packing replacement with PTFE flax I was struggling with getting the stuffing box drip rate and temperature in gear dialed in. I used the proper size flax, put in the normal 3 separate rings with the joints 120° apart but couldn't get the drip rate correct. In gear it was either dripping 4~5 times a second or no drips at all. Even with excessive dripping the stuffing box was getting exceedingly hot and that was with the shaft turning just above idle, like 800 RPM. I tried loosening the stuffing box a little more and it came right off the threads which meant there were no threads left to loosen it more. Besides it was already dripping way too much.

A closer look was in order.

. . . and a closer look discovered a problem. The dripping was not coming from where it should to cool the shaft→flax seal but rather from the threads before the water got to the flax. No wonder the temperature was out of control.

The solution was to remove one ring of flax. Now the dripping is coming from the shaft exit where it should, is adjustable and the stuffing box is held on with at least four threads. I dialed it in with the shaft turning, one drip per second, no drips at rest and after a half hour in gear the stuffing box temp was on the lower side of lukewarm.

edit: I wish I had my IR temp gun with me to provide a more accurate narrative
    Last edited by ndutton; 05-27-2022, 11:11 PM.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others
  • msmith10
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2006

I had a similar problem last time I repacked. 2 rings of packing was all that would fit without overtightening, so I went with 2 rings. No problem after that.
    Mark Smith
    1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

100% the same experience with Mark. I am running 2 rings of the graphite packing with conventional Buck Algonquin stuffing box...It is essentially dripless.
      -Shawn
      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Jan 2007

I used 3 rows of flax the first couple times and when I switched to the synthetic I could only get two rings in. I don't think the synthetics compress as much.

Really good stuff! Pun intended.

Dave Neptune

Comment

Working...
        X