• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • goodoldboat
    • May 2017

head is clogged / no holding tank

had some women on board last night and the needed to use the ladies room
    and used to much TP

I cant pump out he head ? how do I clear it ?

any thoughts
    S/V Gosling
    Westport CT .

“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing- as simply messing about in boats.”
    ― Kenneth Grahame
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Certainly hope you were not in a marina. Disassembly and poking around is about the only way, not fun.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
      • Nov 2008

If You Didn't Put It In Your Mouth Don't Put It In The Head!

This is why I insist and enforce the only thing that goes into the head is something that went in through the mouth. All paper goes into a plastic bag not the head. If the bag gets a bit gross closed it up and replace it.
      If the outlet for the head is near the edge of the boat you can try securing the boat near the dock, reaching under the boat, and reaming the through hull opening from the outside with a screw driver while someone pumps the head inside. Been there done this. Good luck.
      Sometimes being owner\captain involves being the HEAD man in more ways than one. Comes with the territory.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• goodoldboat
        • May 2017

head

Thanks for the update ... it looks like I am going over the side the weekend ..

no way to use a plunger like at home ?
        S/V Gosling
        Westport CT .

“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing- as simply messing about in boats.”
        ― Kenneth Grahame

Comment

• Administrator
          MMI Webmaster
          • Oct 2004

This is why I insist and enforce the only thing that goes into the head is something that went in through the mouth. All paper goes into a plastic bag not the head. If the bag gets a bit gross closed it up and replace it.
          +1

Bill

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
            • Nov 2008

GOB
            You can try the plunger if you like. In my experience plunging only packs clogs tighter. Careful you don't force the hose off the through hull fitting while plunging.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Tim
              • Jul 2005

Why are you going over the side? The head should discharge into a holding tank, not overboard.

Edit - Opps, I see that you don't have a holding tank. Now might be a good time to install one.
              Last edited by Tim; 07-27-2017, 05:45 PM.
              Pearson 10M
              Gloucester, Va

Comment

• sastanley
                Afourian MVP
                • Sep 2008

Tim, GOB must not be in the Chesapeake..a proper (oversized) 25 gal holding tank was the first thing on my list before I even splashed my new to me boat in 2009. Until 2014, I had more black water tankage than fresh water!

gob, the clog is likely about the joker valve which is going to be just outside of the pump body. Disassembly and cleaning is likely the proper remedy.

A word of advise, part of the boat "briefing" for landlubbers is the uncomfortable talk of the head use..In the future, explain to them that a head failure on a boat is catastrophic and anyone unfamiliar with them should get an education on its proper use..That is always easier on everyone. At least with this announcement, they will ask someone prior to use and get a one-on-one that isn't as embarrassing as a group session.

Where are you that you can get away with no holding tank?
                Last edited by sastanley; 07-27-2017, 06:51 PM.
                -Shawn
                "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                sigpic

Comment

• Tim
                  • Jul 2005

I have a 1979 pearson 10m like GOB. It didn't have a holding tank when I bought it in 2003. I made a holding tank out of an 8 inch diameter, 42 inch long schedule 40 pipe, two end caps and various pvc fittings. There was a water tank under the port settee. I cut the top off the water tank and placed the home made tank there. It holds about 10 gallons and has had no problems, so far.
                  Pearson 10M
                  Gloucester, Va

Comment

• ndutton
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

Of course none of us can know for sure but my money is on the clog hung up inside the head itself at the joker valve or output elbow. If I were taking on the repair I'd bag up the head in a medium sized trash bag, remove the mounting bolts,disconnect the raw water and discharge hoses and take the whole thing straight to the dumpster.

Yep, there would be a brand new water closet on the boat if it were me. Choose yer battles.
                    Neil
                    1977 Catalina 30
                    San Pedro, California
                    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by goodoldboat View Post
                      Thanks for the update ... it looks like I am going over the side the weekend ..
                      ?
                      GOB
                      Before you go into the water be sure the plug isn't in the head itself as others have suggested.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• goodoldboat
                        • May 2017

head

Well after a good soak over night I was able to pump it though the system
                        but all guests will be instructed no paper in the Head .
                        S/V Gosling
                        Westport CT .

― Kenneth Grahame

Comment

• Ken Rockwell
                          • May 2017

I'd be more upset about plastic and radioactive waste going overboard. Where are all the fish pooping?

Comment

• sastanley
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Ken Rockwell View Post
                            I'd be more upset about plastic and radioactive waste going overboard. Where are all the fish pooping?
                            Ken, I agree 100%...but none of us make the discharge rules. Our 'buddies' up on Capitol Hill do that for us.
                            -Shawn
                            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                            sigpic

Comment

• JGiffing
                              Frequent Contributor
                              • Jul 2017

I have not band TP in the head.
                              I did buy the bio-degradable stuff although I am not sure it make much difference.
                              So far so good... but maybe I need to change my policy on the boat!

I am reminded of my trips to South America where their sewer systems cannot handle TP. They all have a waste baskets next to the toilet and you are suppose to dispose of your used TP in the waste basket so that it does not clog the sewer system.

Furthermore in some public restrooms they either have attendants that give you a piece of TP or there is a dispenser outside of the stall... so make sure you get a few pieces before you need it!!!
                              Last edited by JGiffing; 08-02-2017, 07:11 PM. Reason: Miss spelled
                              Jim

S/V Strong Tower
                              1977 C&C 29 MK 1
                              Turkey Point
                              North East, MD

Comment

Working...
                              X