• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Scored an Onan Waterlift

I got an Onan Waterlift muffler for $20 from a fellow C&Cer
    This is what my boat had originally until it rusted out. These things are like a modern water lift except they are HUGE - about 5 gallons capacity it looks like. Since the original NEVER let the engine flood even in 20 foot seas, I just may put this one in. Also note running dry won't melt it.
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA
  • Nahart
    • Oct 2010

What does it look like? I have a muffler that looks like a Propane bottle. Don't know what it is.
    Marker Dave

"Solitaire"
    '75 Catalina 30 #65

Comment

• Administrator
      MMI Webmaster
      • Oct 2004

Check out this web page.

Bill

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

I sure hope Ralph, the author of the web page, is a member here under a pseudonym. He would be a true asset. His page includes the symptoms, the theories and assumptions, the eureka moment, the analysis and repair and finally a post sortie debriefing replete with pictures and drawings.

Very well done.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Nahart
          • Oct 2010

thanks,

that's my muffler.....and that is a plethora of information!
          Marker Dave

"Solitaire"
          '75 Catalina 30 #65

Comment

• tenders
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2007

Designing that exhaust/drain pipe out of PVC seems like an accident waiting to happen. And it was.

May I place a vote please for the standpipe system, which I have in my Ericson 32. Very simple - won't allow the engine to drown - won't melt. But you do have to have some vertical height. Mine has the water injection coming in horizontally at the top of the pipe, so it doesn't need quite as much vertical as the Moyer model.

Comment

• joe_db
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

A standpipe is not possible on my boat without extensive re-engineering. The original Onan refused to flood in every kind of storm including 20+ foot breaking waves in the Gulf Stream, so in my case it is pretty well proven good. Not that my engine floods now either, but for $20 I could not resist.

Originally posted by tenders View Post
              Designing that exhaust/drain pipe out of PVC seems like an accident waiting to happen. And it was.

May I place a vote please for the standpipe system, which I have in my Ericson 32. Very simple - won't allow the engine to drown - won't melt. But you do have to have some vertical height. Mine has the water injection coming in horizontally at the top of the pipe, so it doesn't need quite as much vertical as the Moyer model.

http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5155
              Joe Della Barba
              Coquina
              C&C 35 MK I
              Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
              X