X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OfficeMonkey
    • Jan 2021

Struggling to find 12V+LiFePO4 ignition-protected gear

I had a glorious plan. New Victron LiFePO4 batteries; a PWC battery as starter. Victron BMS to monitor the batteries. Victron DC to DC converter to charge the LiFePO4 batteries from the alternator while underway. A hardwired Victron charger for while on shore power.

Then I happened to notice that the small BMS I was planning to buy had IP20 protection -- and while I don't plan to submerge the boat, there is often moisture on a boat. Then I noticed it was not ignition protected, probably a minor risk due to it's purpose, but that got me looking. DC to DC converter? Not ignition protected. The AC to DC charger? The fancy once I had planned to buy was not, but there was at least once option that was ignition protected.

I have thus far found exactly one DC to DC converter (Mastervolt) that is ignition protected AND LiFePO4 compatible -- and I've only found one that is ignition protected without the lithium ion compatibility (ProMariner, although I think Sterling Power may be as well).

On my Ranger 29, the battery box is 90 degrees turned from the engine, facing down alongside the gas tank. Even with a blower and air ventilation (~4" air tube, but diagonally across the gas tank), it seems I should be buying ignition protected gear.

The boat is the boat, and the engine is the engine, and there's no way I can isolate the battery compartment, nor is there spare space on the other side of a bulkhead that's accessible from the battery compartment.

Does anyone have a recommendation for ignition protected + LiFePO4 compatible charging gear, particularly for the DC to DC converter?
  • W2ET
    Former Admin
    • Oct 2008

Try these folks.

Bill

Comment

• lat 64
      Afourian MVP
      • Oct 2008

I understand Victron does lots of marine applications:

I'm sure they could advise.
      I have their 30 amp dc-dc charger in my camper van. I don't see how it might cause a spark. i did, however, put a temperature-switched small computer fan near it as I have heard they get pretty warm during high loads.

Russ
      sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

Working...
      X