X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • barrett bonden
    • Jun 2011

Valve spring ignorance: boundless

Working on my (totally seized ) spare engine in practice for work on the boat’s. Bought a valve spring compressing tool, which does a fine job of compressing the springs, but not much for enlightening me as to what to do next. (needless to say this is my first work on valve springs)
    In reading Rpowers’ posting on this work I see I’m to “1. Lift the spring and retainer disc together.” Is this retainer disk the object the bottom of the spring immediately rests on ? None of mine seem to want to move much. Is this due to the engine not turning over (does one need to work on valves that are in certain positions ?) or to my insufficient use of torque on the tool ?
  • ILikeRust
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2010

The base of the valve stem has a little groove cut around it. When you compress the spring, lift it upwards (yes, include that little metal disc with it) and you should be able to see two small retainers that are essentially cone-shaped, which that bottom disc fits over. Each of the retainers are basically half a cone, split lengthwise. Once you compress the spring and lift up that metal disc off of the little retainers, you can carefully - CAREFULLY pick those little retainers off the valve stem.

The reason I say "carefully" is because if you drop one, it can fall down through the oil return holes and disappear down into the crankcase, meaning you'll have to take the oil pan off to retrieve it. Best thing to do is stuff a rag or something in those holes so nothing can fall down in there.

Once you remove those little retainers, you can lift the valve up off the top of the engine (assuming you have the head off - otherwise, this whole exercise is utterly moot and for naught). Once you lift the valve up and out of the way, you can pull the valve spring out.
    - Bill T.
    - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• Ball Racing
      Afourian MVP
      • Jul 2011

Sometimes you can't compress the spring because the taper of retainer has locked to the keepers.
      Take a open end wrench place under the spring, and pry against a inner surface somewhere and attempt to pry the spring-valve up some.
      The open end of the wrench will allow room for the valve tip.
      Now take a small hammer, and hit dead square on the valve head to release the lock the reatiners sometimes get.
      Tyring to keep the Bay's Wooden Boat's history from dying off completely.
      Daniel

Comment

• barrett bonden
        • Jun 2011

Enlightened !

Thanks kindly to you both !
        This poor engine (junked ; bought at a yard for $100) sat outside for some years, which must not have helped it’s moving parts to move much; I found just one valve spring whose metal base disk was willing to move up, and then taking the two retainers off was easy.

Comment

• 2dogsnight
          • Jun 2012

I like to use a magnet to get the retainers.....they are small and is hard to get them by hand...telescopic magnet was always working great for me
          ...I am waiting for my valve compression tool to do just that myself

Comment

Working...
          X