• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marthur
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2004

Lifting the Engine

We have had several discussions about removing or lifting engines. I thought it might be helpful to resurrect a discussion from "back in the day."

Here is a thread where Don M. discusses preparing to lift an engine:

Removing Motor Thread

The thread contains some of an excellent idea for a lifting the motor off its mounts without having to manhandle or slide it:

Pictures of Lifting
    Mike
  • Marty Levenson
    • Nov 2004

hoisted the A4 Sunday: first time

I just pulled our old A4 on Sunday, and all went well. My method is described on this page: (scroll down to post #214 for details and photos)

The whole thing made me very nervous, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. To my mind, worth removing starter, exhaust manifold, flywheel cover, flywheel, alt to reduce the size and weight. I wish I had known I was going to pull the engine the last time I ran her: would have drained the oil when hot. As it was I worried about spills, but keeping tranny low avoided the problem.
    Want to reiterate a point I learned on the forum, but can't now recall who stated it: as you start lifting, just go up an inch or less, and then separate the output flange from the shaft flange before lifting higher. Otherwise they catch together and will separate violently.
    I would have preferred to use two halyards as my primary and secondary lifts.
    I had a ramp to push the wagon up into the pick-up, but three average size guys lifted it EASILY.

Hope that is useful!
    Marty
    1967 Tartan 27
    Bowen Island, BC

sigpic

Comment

• marthur
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2004

Those are excellent pictures and one of the best descriptions of rigging I have seen. Thanks!
      Mike

Comment

Working...
      X