Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cellnav
    • Aug 2008

Are you backfiring through the carb? The flame arrestor would muffle it. She's running rich - that plug's got a ton of soot for one hour of running.
    Last edited by Cellnav; 01-28-2014, 08:46 PM.

Comment

• romantic comedy
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2007

Reading your op. If you are correct, then the only thing that is different is the gas.

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Originally posted by romantic comedy View Post
        Reading your op. If you are correct, then the only thing that is different is the gas.
        Gotta disagree. In addition to the fuel, much of the ignition wiring, the exhaust system and the load are different. Alternator too if I recall.

Time for an outboard tank test?
        Last edited by ndutton; 01-28-2014, 09:21 PM.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Marian Claire
          Afourian MVP
          • Aug 2007

My line of thinking after Dan.Sev's discovery of the partial use of the choke stopped the popping is that he has a time induced lean condition. He is now running fuel thru his boat tank, line, filter etc that he was not doing in the garage. Plugged tank vent, air leak created when he reconnected?? We do have some conflicting stuff. Sooty plug says rich condition, coughing out the carb/flame arrestor says lean condition. Both could say bad timing. But why the time delay? As usual my posts are more question than answer. Dan S/V Marian Claire
          Last edited by Marian Claire; 01-28-2014, 10:18 PM.

Comment

• romantic comedy
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2007

Right Neil.

First hook up an independent fuel tank. A gallon jug would work.

Hook the ignition direct to a battery

Not sure about the exhaust.

I have seen bad gas make the engine act bizarre. Took me years to believe it, then it happened to me with a brand new VW engine I rebuilt.

Could that noise actually be ping?

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Originally posted by romantic comedy View Post
              Could that noise actually be ping?
              Not like I've ever heard. One thing about us old guys is we grew up in an era of high compression engines when octane rating mattered. Too low an octane and pinging under load resulted. "Pinging" sounded like marbles inside the engine and occurred in all cylinders simultaneously, a different sound than what we're hearing in the video.

I think the richness as evidenced by the sooty plug (was it all of them or just that one?) comes from the misfire and unburned fuel saturating the cylinder. Said another way, I think it's the result of the problem rather than the cause.
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California

Comment

• romantic comedy
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2007

hazard a guess as to that noise Neil?

I have heard a noise just like that before, but I am racking my brain to remember where and when.

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

I mentioned earlier it sounded more like a snap than a pop to me and because of that my initial guess was a failure of the coil secondary system, either the coil itself or maybe secondary wires. I was hoping the run in the dark test would show flashes and we'd be done with it but it was not to be. The test didn't eliminate the possibility for me yet but neither did it confirm it.

My next thought was something in the valve train. I thought a compression check at the onset of symptoms would be an indicator then later on we have the information that choke has an effect. The remote tank test was intended to confirm or eliminate the fuel and/or the fuel delivery system as the problem. Exhaust backpressure is still on the table as well.

Wherever this leads we are sure to learn something.
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California

Comment

• tenders
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2007

On my first listen it sounded as though the engine suddenly got loaded and is getting bogged down. Is it possible you have a serious intermittent short somewhere, and the alternator suddenly tries to put out its full amperage? A sudden drop in voltage might also disrupt the ignition. I'd try disconnecting the alternator belt and see how she runs. (The engine will run for hours and hours with just the battery connected.)

Comment

• jpian0923
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Sep 2010

I noticed you finished a rebuild in November-ish. Have you adjusted your reversing gear yet? Just a stab in the dark.
                      "Jim"
                      S/V "Ahoi"
                      1967 Islander 29
                      Harbor Island, San Diego
                      2/7/67 A4 Engine Block date

Comment

• tenders
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2007

Here's another thought: are you certain you have the plug wires in the proper order on the distributor 1-2-4-3?

80psi is not infallible compression. I wonder if the wires could be misordered and you have a sticking valve that starts working once the engine warms up. Once that starts firing at the wrong time, the engine slows down and backfires.

May I suggest taking the wires off the plugs one at a time as the engine is misbehaving. Wear gloves unless you like a LOT of artificial stimulation.

I would be surprised if the solution to this required anything close to another teardown to address.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                          • Nov 2008

Dav.Sev
                          Does the engine make the popping noise both in neutral and in gear?
                          One thing we know for sure is that the prop wasn't attached while it was on the bench.
                          Maybe putting the engine under load causes the popping to show itself.
                          This might help narrow the list of possible causes down.

At the moment I think we may be looking at two problems:
                          Grungy plugs indicating fuel or ignition
                          Some sort of banging noise. To me the noise sounde like it might be external to the engine. Try disconnecting the new alternator drive belt (post #24) and also disconnet the new exhaust and see if the noise goes away. After these two items were added the noise started. Cause and effect? Who knows?

Have you tried pushing on the accessory drive pulley with a piece of wood while the engine is running?

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Dromo
                            • Mar 2008

Here's my 2 cent.
                            Mechanical fuel pump rocker arm , binding and putting pressure on the cam
                            Besides that, engine sounds good
                            Rick
                            Last edited by Dromo; 01-29-2014, 01:32 PM.

Comment

• lat 64
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Oct 2008

4 cents

Originally posted by Dromo View Post
                              Here's my 2 cent.
                              Mechanical fuel pump rocker arm , binding and putting pressure on the cam
                              Besides that, engine sounds good
                              Rick
                              That a was my first thought too, but I don't know the geometry. I have an electric pump. I have heard that kind of noise in an old 50's Ford V-8 when I put the wrong fuel pump on.

(funny one: my stupid computer did a preemptive strike on the word "electric". Instead it wrote lactic. I just don't need a lactic pump on my engine. I hate predictive text!
                              Last edited by lat 64; 01-29-2014, 03:35 PM.
                              sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• Dan.Sev
                                • May 2013

Sorry it took a few days to post but I hooked up an independent fuel tank, no change at all. I don’t think that it is the reversing gear, I'm not having any problem putting it into gear and it makes the noise in forward, reverse, and neutral. The plug wiring is correct, I triple checked. All of the plugs were that dirty, and I did have to clean my carb again to get her running smoothly on the bench(I cleaned and rebuilt it about a year ago before my rebuild, worked fine then). I'll try disconnecting my alternator and the exhaust flange, and see if I can isolate the problem. Ill also run the wiring directly to the battery for the ignition and coil. I put some thought into it being the mechanical pump, and using an extra piece of heater hose, it seems like the noise is loudest around the valves/exhaust manifold/carb area. Lol. Doesn't isolate it very much, but the fuel pump seemed pretty quiet. I'm starting to think it’s a problem with the valves, maybe the springs or keepers. I just want to exhaust the other more obvious(and easier to get to) things before I go and open that can of worms. If it does get that far I will pull the mechanical pump first and check out the rocker arm and cam.

Comment

Working...
                                X