• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marthur
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2004

Shafted!

I have two Oberdorfer water pumps that I am considering taking as my spares on the summer cruise. The question I have is very simple, how much play can the shaft on one of these pumps have without eating up the seal?

For dimensions, I assume that the shaft size is 0.625" (5/8"), one of mine measures 0.623. I got a range of values for the pump body (mostly 0.627" to .630").

Any thoughts?
    Mike
  • romantic comedy
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

are your pumps ready to go? Take them with you. If they were to leak, it would still probably be better then the "failed" pump.

My old engine mounted pump has slop in the shaft. I never measured it. It was working fine when I replaced it with the spare, just for fun.

not a great answer, but what the heck

Comment

• Mo
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2007

I'm thinking you will be fine...take them with you..tolerances in the old days were very liberal.
      Mo

"Odyssey"
      1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
      The optimist expects it to change.
      The realist adjusts the sails.
      ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

marthur,

I replaced my shaft & impeller this winter. What I do is instead of carry a 2nd ($$$!!) pump, just carry the extra shaft with impeller already installed & ready to go..sounds like you may be trying something similar?

I did not even THINK to check clearances, but I have noticed my 'new' shaft allows a bit of oil to drip out of the gap in between the seals..

Guess I am going to have to put the other one back in and check.
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• marthur
          Afourian MVP
          • Dec 2004

What I do is instead of carry a 2nd ($$$!!) pump, just carry the extra shaft with impeller already installed & ready to go..sounds like you may be trying something similar?
          A couple of years ago I installed the Moyer Marine pump with ball bearings. You could insert my testimonial here, it is a nice pump and the service MM provides is superb.

Anyway, I have the original Oberdorfer from the exchange. In the course of my travels I have also acquired a second worn out oberdorfer pump.

Since the shafts do not interchange between the Moyer pump and the Oberdorfer, I have to carry the complete pump. That is why I was measuring up my pump bodies and shafts to find the most serviceable spare.
          Mike

Comment

• romantic comedy
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2007

The impeller will take a set, when stored in the spare pump.

I could send you a nice one, with a nice bent vane.

Just tie the impeller to the spare. my advice

Comment

• marthur
              Afourian MVP
              • Dec 2004

What I do is to take the shaft and impeller out and I stick it in backwards. In other words, the impeller is outside the pump body on the engine side of the pump and the shaft sticks into the pump. This keeps the greasy bearing surface clean. It only takes a minute to pop off the cover, insert the shaft with impeller and install the pump.
              Mike

Comment

Working...
              X