X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BunnyPlanet169
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • May 2010

I guess the spring juices are flowing... I was in the barn Sunday also.

I love the old-style water jacket. Looks great!
    Jeff

sigpic
    S/V Bunny Planet
    1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• BadaBing
      • Jul 2007

I'm curious how you cut and ground the ends on the studs. Very mice job. If I recall you used long pan head screws and cut off the heads? Hack saw and grinding by hand? If so you have a steady hand
      Bill
      1974, Tartan 30, Unchained Melody
      www.CanvasWorks.US

Comment

• 2dogsnight
        • Jun 2012

thank you guys !!
        the guy in the picture is my car mechanic who put this motor together in 7hrs for me.....well, WE put the motor together - so much easier when he is compressing valve springs with Moyer spring compressing tool, and I insert the valve in valve guides and placing valve keepers in proper spot :-) I have to say that he valued a lot the Moyer Atomic Book of Knowledge.......torque specifications etc etc
        I did have starter and alternator to redone to 12V. Still have to get 12V coil - $50 from Moyer M.
        talking to Ken about that, now I am thinking about converting points to electronic ignition - he thinks that it will be a great improvement.

I bought S/Steel bolts...cut the heads off and ground a radius on one end....using a tool grinder.....the same grinder that I touched up valves on....there is a picture somewhere in the thread
        Last edited by 2dogsnight; 03-25-2015, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

2dogs..lookin' good. That cast side plate is getting to be a rare item I think! (I always have to remove the alternator, even to fiddle with the side plate. I think the hardest part of the side plate was aligning the 8 studs, which it looks like you've done without trouble!

I'd recommend you make the inlet (shiny hose barb) into the side plate as large as possible to maximize coolant flow!!! Those SS studs look good too!
          Last edited by sastanley; 03-25-2015, 10:39 PM.
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
            Afourian MVP
            • Dec 2008

That is a beautiful sideplate!

Comment

• 2dogsnight
              • Jun 2012

Originally posted by 67c&ccorv View Post
              That is a beautiful sideplate!

glad that side plate is well liked
              Had my mechanic stop by and assemble some more motor parts. Turned out that NAPA sold me wrong spark plugs, so we couldn't try to start the motor...but we did turn the motor to check the oil pressure. Gage was showing 44 PSI !!
              So I am pretty happy, looks like the oil pump rebuild was a success!
              Now I need to capitalize on this excitement and get new spark plugs, and worked out hoses and fitting for cooling system.......mechanic was thinking of putting a radiator and have closed circle cooling system
              Attached Files

Comment

• 2dogsnight
                • Jun 2012

the day of the truth !!!.....
                Troy stopped by and hooked up all necessities.....and give it a try :
                ...first few starts didn't produce expected result....so he sprayed some quick start in the carburetor.

....I though that the motor sounds great and I could not be happier!!!
                ....and here is a video of checking the vital signs :-)

Last edited by 2dogsnight; 07-02-2015, 12:57 AM.

Comment

• Crazer
                  • Sep 2011

Couldn't access the video, but congratulations! All that hard work paid off. Now when is it going back in the boat ?!?
                  -Avery

Rhodes Swiftsure 33 SV “Clio”
                  Sparrow’s Point, MD

Comment

• 2dogsnight
                    • Jun 2012

Avery,
                    could you try again....I changed links few hours ago and they supposed to work
                    thank you !

Comment

• romantic comedy
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2007

I dont get the video either

Good to hear it runs!!

Comment

• 2dogsnight
                        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by romantic comedy View Post
                        I dont get the video either

Good to hear it runs!!
                        It's getting harder to transfer video off your phone......anyway,
                        posted them on youtube and the links are working. Check it out.

....first video - first start after many years - start up fluid does the trick !

second video: just let the motor idle, checking temperature, oil pressure and an alternator charging numbers

Couldn't be happier

Wojo

Comment

• sastanley
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Sep 2008

I didn't bother to check the video because i am lazy..but glad the motor is running!!!!!

edit - OK, I checked the vital signs video..NICE!!! Sounds great!!!!

your mechanic buddy's idea of closed circuit cooling is a great idea. You need a heat exchanger (radiator) of some sort and a 2nd pump to circulate the other coolant. I am using the gear driven pump on the motor to run raw water thru the HX, and a Johnson electric pump (3 amp draw) to circulate the antifreeze thru the engine block/manifold. There are many other options, such as a second belt driven pump off the flywheel, or even adding it into the alternator belt loop...mine works OK for me. Moyer sells a really nice HX, or you may be able to find something similar on the Internet that will suit your needs!
                          Last edited by sastanley; 07-07-2015, 10:38 PM.
                          -Shawn
                          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                          sigpic

Comment

• 2dogsnight
                            • Jun 2012

Thank you Shawn,
                            Today I acquired 89 Chevy V6 for towing the boat to the boat ramp.
                            I will definitely think about closed cooling circuit in the future though.
                            For now I just keep painting, installing hoses, re-tapping NPT plugs etc.
                            The latest "must have" is a an hour counter - would like to keep a record of engine hours.......any suggestion??

Wojo

Comment

• Loki9
                              • Jul 2011

I installed a "Tiny Tach" and it worked well. You get a tachometer and an hour meter. Installation is super easy.

These are about $50, but there are knock-offs on eBay for less than $20 (no idea if they are any good).
                              Jeff Taylor
                              Baltic 38DP

Comment

• 2dogsnight
                                • Jun 2012

Thank you Loki,
                                since I have 2 round shape gages on a dashboard already ( oil pressure and RPM), I am leaning more toward this one

Wojo

Comment

Working...
                                X