• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Fixed point charging or is it really?

After another stimulating conversation with Dan Pires of Lewco Electric in Newport Beach I have more info to share on regulator behavior, specifically alternator mounted and internal fixed point regulators.

He said it's normal to see voltage variations as much as 0.3 ~ 0.5 volts depending on the state of charge of the connected battery and that variation can be different depending on the physical construction of the alternator itself. The reason: heat.

The fixed point regulators don't do this by design, they're trying all they can to maintain a set voltage output but there's a degradation of regulator components as they heat up causing the performance variation. Further, the construction of the alternator affects heat buildup too. The more heat, the more degradation and the more pronounced the voltage variation.

For example, our stock Motorola alternator with the regulator mounted on the back encapsulating the spark producing components (ignition proof) allows air to flow through the alt with minimal restriction making for efficient cooling. In contrast the Delco style with the internal regulator has spark arresting screens front and back restricting the airflow somewhat. This is more apparent at low RPM operation when the cooling fan is turning the slowest.

The alternator I dropped off at Dan's shop was a Delco single wire self exciting type. In addition to the modifications he's making he asked if I would like to add an exciter wire so the alternator would kick in at lower RPM. I said no thanks. After learning about the variations caused by heat and the fact I have the restrictive screen type ignition proofing I'd just as soon have the cooling fan spinning at a decent RPM before the alternator gets to work. He smiled and nodded in agreement.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others
  • BunnyPlanet169
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • May 2010

Someone did some nice photography of alternator construction before -

Jeff

sigpic
    S/V Bunny Planet
    1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• Al Schober
      Afourian MVP
      • Jul 2009

I too have a Delco alternator - a 60 amp single wire job that I bought on FleaBay. Removed the internal regulator and ran an external wire to my remote regulator. I suppose I could have left the internal regulator, but I was in there to make the connection so it was no more trouble to remove it.
      External regulator at the time was an old AutoMac unit (manually set the current), which has since been upgraded to a Balmar ARS 4 - no complaints.
      One change I did make was to add a beefy ground wire from the frame of the alternator to the block. Trying to pass 50-60 amps through the alternator foot and a rusty bolt and bracket was just adding too much resistance to the charging circuit.
      They give you a nice bolt on the back of the alternator for the + connection - wish they did the same for the ground lead!

Comment

Working...
      X