X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marginal
    • Sep 2013

Spark plug pictures

I took some pictures of my plugs at the end of last season during decommissioning. I'm wondering if they are trying to tell me anything.

No particular engine issues right now. Plugs are in order from left to right (1,2,3,4).
    #3 looks different - wet or oily...

Is it time to change them, or are they good for another season?
    Thanks a lot!
    Simon
    Simon
    1981 C&C 30 MK1 "Starlight" #657
    sigpic
  • romantic comedy
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

I wish mine looked that good. A long time ago, I went to a Champion spark plug seminar. It was amazing what that guy told us. I only wish I could remember it.

Comment

• Mo
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by marginal View Post
      I took some pictures of my plugs at the end of last season during decommissioning. I'm wondering if they are trying to tell me anything.

No particular engine issues right now. Plugs are in order from left to right (1,2,3,4).
      #3 looks different - wet or oily...

Is it time to change them, or are they good for another season?
      Thanks a lot!
      Simon
      They are telling you your engine is running pretty good. In the following link you will see some pics of my plugs. They are NGK XR4's...the same set of four has been in operation since the spring of 2011 and they will start out this year again. There are four spare NGK XR4's on board should I need them but these just keep doing the job. Last week I fired up the boat for the first time this year...ran perfect and ran perfect right away. Now, this week, temps should be staying above freezing over night so I can get her properly commissioned for this year. Still lots of snow but I didn't wear a jacket today...warm.

In the attached thread there are posts and pictures of plugs. They are of different years, but they are the same plugs.
      Last edited by Mo; 04-12-2015, 05:53 AM.
      Mo

"Odyssey"
      1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
      The optimist expects it to change.
      The realist adjusts the sails.
      ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• marthur
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2004

Plugs look fine. I usually hit my plugs with a brass wire brush. Knocks the little bit of corrosion off the outside and clean up the electrodes. Cleaned and gapped, they go back into the spares box.

I have been re-using the same two sets of plugs for a number of years. Clean plugs with good looking electrodes last almost forever with the amount of use most of our engines get.
        Mike

Comment

• marginal
          • Sep 2013

Thanks all for the diagnosis.
          Good to know they look normal.
          Simon
          Simon
          1981 C&C 30 MK1 "Starlight" #657
          sigpic

Comment

Working...