X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

#1 Unapproved

Problems with the ignition system

I have had some problems with the ignition system. After cleaning the points and replacing the coil, condensor, ditributor cap, rotor, spark plugs, and spark plug wires, I was still unable to get the motor to start.

However, when I did try to start the motor, the starter drained of power - almost as if the battery was dying. It was a slow, and audible, drain over the course of about 10 seconds. The battery is good, what else would cause this?
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

If I understand your situation correctly, your starter is turning over very slowly and making a "growling" sound, even while the batteries are fully (or at leased adequately) charged. If this is the case, your starter needs to be taken in to a local automotive starter/alternator repair shop to be checked and repaired. It most likely has a short in the armature, or the brushes could be worn excessively.

If you don't have access to a starter/alternator repair shop, you can find both early and late model starters in the electrical section of our online catalog at moyermarine.com.

Don

Comment

Working...
    X