X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Easy Rider
    Afourian MVP
    • Feb 2007

"If you are new to sailing, I wouldn't spend the time or the money to install any inboard, diesel or gas, in your current boat. Get on Craigslist and find a longshaft 9.9 outboard and let her rip! Actually go sailing and see if you and your crew even like it. It's astounding to me that some people don't like sailing, but it isn't a sport for everyone. It would be a shame to spend a lot of time on installing an inboard that you couldn't recoup the cost if you decided that sailing wasn't your thing. Clean up your new boat, go over all the systems and rigging and learn everything the boat will tell you. If you like sailing, this is a great sized boat to learn on. If you really like sailing and want to go on longer trips, it will be much easier to sell your boat for a price you can live with if you haven't dropped 4-5 grand on an inboard. If you do decide to move up, get a 30 footer with an A-4 already installed."

I've being following this thread with some interest as I've seen many a person get into boating only to discover that to do it right is a real commitment both in time and money.

I think the best advise you've being given here is from TomG, #26. I couldn't agree more.

Chuck
    Chuck

71 Ranger 29

Comment

• lat 64
      Afourian MVP
      • Oct 2008

Still for sale:

sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

george...look for an outboard with an alternator. if you are looking for a motor in the 9.9HP range, it may come with one..also much more likely if it is a long shaft, as a typical consumer wanting a longshaft O/B is a sailor also needing a means to charge his battery(ies). Short shafts designed for skiffs/dinghies and such are less likely to have an alternator.

They aren't huge alternators, but usually can push out 4 or 5 amps which is likely plenty. Build the electrical system smart with all LED's, and a gr 29 or 31 battery with more Amp hours than you'll ever use on a weekend, and you can ALMOST get away with a solar panel trickle charger.

george, I know you are in California, but here is the type of motor I am describing and think would be a good match for your needs....http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...279259214.html
        Last edited by sastanley; 10-30-2015, 08:02 PM.
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• george58
          Frequent Contributor
          • Oct 2015

Balboa 27

I thank you all for your advice. I found a honda 15hp long shaft Outboard 4 stroke. Price is rite so that's it.
          Now what are the procedures for using an ac generator for back up power and keeping the batteries charged? Water and AC is never good. How the heck do you ground it so you don't get fried?
          I really do thank you for the help.

Comment

• sastanley
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2008

george..there are lots of people that just have the generator on deck..who knows how long that will last? Honda generators are a LOT quieter than most.

What about a couple big solar panels? Also, it is probably possible to retrofit a small-ish alternator on the outboard you are considering? I think you'll be surprised how little power you really need...generators are gas hogs for the amount of power they give back. (IMO)
            -Shawn
            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
            sigpic

Comment

• Al Schober
              Afourian MVP
              • Jul 2009

George,
              I think you're going the right way with the outboard. Try it and see if it works for you in your sailing/motoring conditions. I think I'd stay with the 'inboard' fuel system for the outboard - use your existing tank and filters, upgraded as needed. An electric fuel pump will push the fuel up to your outboard just fine. Keep the fuel system inboard to inboard standards - no plastic, etc.
              As for charging, you will have to see what your outboard puts out for current and voltage. My last outboard with charger was only 4 amps and didn't fill my needs.
              If you do go generator, I recommend the Honda alternator type. I have an eu2000 for home use (boiler & refrigerator) that I really like. It has a DC output, but I haven't used it and don't recall the specs. I suspect the eu1000 may fill your marine needs. If the DC output doesn't fill your charging needs, then you'll have to run the 110V output to a marine battery charger - I'd go with a 3 stage unit, the biggest you can justify for your batteries to cut down the generator charge time. Probably a small AC panel with breakers to the charger and onboard outlets.
              I'd hook up the boat like you were going to plug in at a marina. Do it properly with a reverse polarity switch, etc. The generator can then plug into the shore power inlet. I'd size stuff for a 30 amp inlet, which is pretty standard.
              As for safety, think GFCI outlet - downstream outlets daisy chained. The generator ground should be connected to the ground system on the boat through the shore power inlet.

Comment

• TomG
                Afourian MVP Emeritus
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by george58 View Post
                I thank you all for your advice. I found a honda 15hp long shaft Outboard 4 stroke. Price is rite so that's it.
                Now what are the procedures for using an ac generator for back up power and keeping the batteries charged? Water and AC is never good. How the heck do you ground it so you don't get fried?
                I really do thank you for the help.
                What is your planned electrical demand? I doubt you have a reefer or hot water or air conditioner. Is the boat currently (no pun intended) set up for AC distribution?

Before you start getting all charged up (no pun intended) on adding an AC power source, figure out: 1) How do you plan on using your boat and 2) What are the realistic demands you expect on the electrical system?

If you are planning on day sailing, I would be amazed if you could use more power than could be supplied with a typical Group 24 dual battery bank. Even if you are going to overnight on the boat, a single Group 24 battery will supply over 5 hours at an 8 amp draw. Since you will be sleeping during the night, 5 hours is a lot of time on a single G24. I think your best investment in your electrical system is in switching over to LED lighting. Typically, LED lights draw about 1/10 the current of incandescent for the same candlepower.

Unless you really need AC power (hot tub, Kitchen Aid, Fender Super Twin Reverb Amp, etc.), it's really kind of a hassle and more than a little dangerous to have a AC generator rolling about the boat your size. First, there's fuel and second there's carbon monoxide and third, there's Alternating Current! On a 27' foot boat, there's little need for an AC system to use the boat. I have an AC system that is used when the boat is at the slip to power the battery charger, a small fridge (momma likes her vino cool), and an outlet in the galley. I simply don't need AC when I use the boat away from the dock.

What are planning on using power for?
                Tom
                "Patina"
                1977 Tartan 30
                Repowered with MMI A-4 2008

Comment

Working...
                X