X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Easy Rider
    Afourian MVP
    • Feb 2007

Sounds too simple but you might want to go back and check the new ignition switch wiring.
    Chuck

71 Ranger 29

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

Time to play with a volt meter. First confirm voltage at the switch and the switches position at run and again at start to confirm the switch is working. Then check for voltage at the solenoid start terminal. If no voltage work back through the connections to the switch. Also check to see that there is voltage at the coil + terminal when the key is on at the run and start positions.

Could be as simple as a blown fuse or a skipped connection on the rewire.

Did the electric fuel pump run?

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Bents
        • Jul 2023

Originally posted by Easy Rider View Post
        Sounds too simple but you might want to go back and check the new ignition switch wiring.
        I'll double check it for sure, you can see it in the photos. Multimeter read 12.7V from the s terminal on the solenoid to ground when the key was turned which lead us to suspect it needed replacing.

Comment

• Bents
          • Jul 2023

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
          Time to play with a volt meter. First confirm voltage at the switch and the switches position at run and again at start to confirm the switch is working. Then check for voltage at the solenoid start terminal. If no voltage work back through the connections to the switch. Also check to see that there is voltage at the coil + terminal when the key is on at the run and start positions.

Could be as simple as a blown fuse or a skipped connection on the rewire.

Did the electric fuel pump run?

Dave Neptune
          Ha! I was replying as you were. We checked the voltages as you suggest. All showed 12V+.

I'm not sure on the fuel pump, I should be able to hear that run when i turn the key to "on"? I'll test that out.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
            • Jan 2007

You can check the starter with 2 screwdrivers. Put one on each end of the large lugs on the solenoid and cross the screwdrivers, the starter motor should run. If it does and you have voltage at the "start" terminal on the solenoid that will confirm the solenoid is bad.

Was one of the "cooked" wires connected to the solenoid?

What were the cooked wires connected to?

You should be able to hear the fuel pump clicking. Once you get the engine to turn over and start GET THE OPSS hooked back up. It is an important safety device when using the electric style pumps. It is just a switch the only engages once the engine is cranking and the OPSS senses oil pressure which holds it in the on position until no pressure is present. Many install a bypass of the switch for priming of the carb for an easier start.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Bents
              • Jul 2023

Final Update

First of, thank you everyone for the help! I've learned a heck of a lot in the first month of boat ownership lol.

Replacing the solenoid was not the issue, but it was the lowest cost step in the troubleshooting process. Turns out it was the actual starter that was bad. Just put the new one in yesterday and she fired right up after a few 5 second attempts.

Everything looks good, sounds good, runs good. We couldn't be happier.

I've completed my first major repair. Thanks again!!
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X