X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grant.mckenzie
    • Jun 2010

Engine mounts

Hi, new ( to-me ) engine is in the boat but not sitting on the mounts yet. I do not have a handy photo but the mounts are just threaded shafts emerging directly from a glassed base. When I removed the engine, I kept the various rubber sheets, washers and tin that had been used to align the engine. All told though it probably addes up to ~ 1/4 - 1/3 inch. Any thoughts on re-aligning? I could replace the original various spacers with fresher equivalents - if I were to install nuts on the mounts the engine woudl ride too high...

Comment

• marthur
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2004

I could replace the original various spacers with fresher equivalents - if I were to install nuts on the mounts the engine woudl ride too high...
      Sounds like an answer. Don't know if I like it as an original design choice, but something similar is found in a large number of boats and has worked for a long time. The alternative is to cut and re-glass the bed to make room for an adjustable engine mount. That sounds like a lot of work to do during sailing season.
      Mike

Comment

• grant.mckenzie
        • Jun 2010

"shift cable" clamp

Hi, the clamps that hold the shift cable connected to the reversing cable have gone to that place where small important things run away to when you are not looking.

Catalina Direct, publishers of the Catalina 22 and Catalina 25 Owner's Handbooks and the largest supplier of parts and Lewmar winches for Catalina Yachts in the country

I think that this is the part but am surprised at the cost. Anyone else been able to cobble something together with home depot parts?

I do not see the part available on our host's online catalog.

Comment

• marthur
          Afourian MVP
          • Dec 2004

If you can't find what you need at home depot, look here at McMaster Carr. They have what you need McMaster Carr Cable Clamps

Here is one that should fit in stainless

You will have to fabricate the bottom strap if you feel it is necessary.

Something like this wire rope clamp could also be adapted and is probably available locally.
          Mike

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Sorry marther but the referenced M-Carr clamp is missing a critical feature, the locking dimple mid-strap.

Take a look at M-Carr part no. 2695K85, made for control cables (something like $2.32).
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California
            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• marthur
              Afourian MVP
              • Dec 2004

Good find Neil. BTW, my name is Mike.
              Mike

Comment

• ndutton
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

Originally posted by marthur View Post
                Good find Neil. BTW, my name is Mike.
                It is my embarrassment that I either did not know or did not recall that. I'll do better.
                Neil
                1977 Catalina 30
                San Pedro, California

Comment

• grant.mckenzie
                  • Jun 2010

Perfect thanks - I'm a little sensitive to that clamp because on two successive launch days the cable pulled right out leaving my doing the traditional 360s through the mooring field.

Comment

• ndutton
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

Recommend you use the shim plate and fasten with Nylok nuts, should be trouble free.
                    Neil
                    1977 Catalina 30
                    San Pedro, California

Comment

• grant.mckenzie
                      • Jun 2010

Running noise

Hi,

quick shakedown runabout the harbor this past weekend. No major issues. A little smoke out of the exhaust and a bit of a ticking sound.

Anyone with mechanic ears hear anything?

My guess - my top dead center reckoning was a little off when setting up valve clearance and getting some mixture in the exhaust. Compression was about 90 in each cylinder though.

Thanks as always for all your help.

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Dec 2008

Sounds pretty good to me...maybe a little clearance issue with the valves???

Comment

• Loki9
                          • Jul 2011

Sounds good to me. Solid lifters always make some noise.
                          Jeff Taylor
                          Baltic 38DP

Comment

• grant.mckenzie
                            • Jun 2010

alternators and amps

Hi

when I installed the engine, I redid all DC wiring with the kit available on this site. All senders and gauges are new as well.

I noticed that my ammeter is reading 0 when the engine is running. Changed the ammeter and alternator but still reading 0.

I'm not actually sure if it is supposed to read 0 when the engine is running. I assume that it should not as, well current must be flowing. Anyone have any trouble shooting tips? One I've seen in forums is to measure the voltage across the batteries with / without the engine running - with the engine running supposed to get an extra couple of volts (?)

Comment

• Al Schober
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Jul 2009

Grant,
                              If the alternator is putting out, you'll see an increased voltage - at least at the alternator output terminal. It may not be going anywhere (wiring problem? no current?), but you should still see 13.5 to 14.5 V at the alternator. How much depends on what's controlling the field current in your alternator.

Comment

• ArtJ
                                • Sep 2009

A minor point, but worth mentioning just in case - Marine alternators
                                need to have the engine rev'd up for a couple of seconds to
                                get the alternator to starting charging. This is normal

Comment

Working...
                                X