X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Val V
    • Apr 2013

Solenoid to starter rubber seal

I noticed when engine is starting sparks are flying from the starter. Upon closer look I noticed that they are coming from the metal link between the solenoid and the starter motor caused by dry and disintegrated rubber seal. Is it worth it to replace just that seal and is it even possible or this starter is a gonner?
    Catalina 30, 1977, #421
  • Mo
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Val V View Post
    I noticed when engine is starting sparks are flying from the starter. Upon closer look I noticed that they are coming from the metal link between the solenoid and the starter motor caused by dry and disintegrated rubber seal. Is it worth it to replace just that seal and is it even possible or this starter is a gonner?
    If the starter is working, which it seems to be, bring it to an electric motor repair facility and they will bench test it and fix it up for you. These places that do starters and alternators are on top of this kind of thing.
    Mo

"Odyssey"
    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
    The optimist expects it to change.
    The realist adjusts the sails.
    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Val V
      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Mo View Post
      If the starter is working, which it seems to be, bring it to an electric motor repair facility and they will bench test it and fix it up for you. These places that do starters and alternators are on top of this kind of thing.
      Thanks Mo. I googled and found a place near by. Called them and they said its a "rebuild" job and quoted about $145. I guess there is more to it than just a rubber seal....
      Catalina 30, 1977, #421

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • May 2010

Don't hesitate - it's fair to say that 'sparks flying' probably isn't ignition safe. Seriously - that's a potentially fatal condition - don't wait.
        Jeff

sigpic
        S/V Bunny Planet
        1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• Val V
          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by BunnyPlanet169 View Post
          Don't hesitate - it's fair to say that 'sparks flying' probably isn't ignition safe. Seriously - that's a potentially fatal condition - don't wait.
          Absolutely, I have no intention to keep going like this. I take this very seriously but just don't know if this requires full rebuild or I can just buy the insulation piece?
          Catalina 30, 1977, #421

Comment

• Al Schober
            Afourian MVP
            • Jul 2009

Val,
            The insulation piece is not causing the sparks. Suggest you look at things further - perhaps the connection between the starter and the solenoid needs cleaning or tightening? If the sparks are coming from inside the starter, then it's likely an issue with the brushes or commutator. That would be something for the shop to address.

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

Val, There is a good shop here in SoMD that I can get you in touch with if you are interested. I am sure you could ship your part to them reasonably.

They recognized my alternator as being from an Atomic 4 by the color of the paint when I brought it in. That was good enough for me. I've since taken the starter into them as well.

Edit - It is no secret..might as well give them a little love for when people google this later.

Wenger's Motor Service - Bishop Road - Loveville, MD 301-373-5162

We've used them to rebuild/service our small boat hoists at the club as well.
              -Shawn
              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
              sigpic

Comment

• Val V
                • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Al Schober View Post
                Val,
                The insulation piece is not causing the sparks. Suggest you look at things further - perhaps the connection between the starter and the solenoid needs cleaning or tightening? If the sparks are coming from inside the starter, then it's likely an issue with the brushes or commutator. That would be something for the shop to address.
                Al, respectfully, i may have to disagree with you. Took the starter off today and brought to the bright light in my garage. Can clearly see where the rubber is worn out/melted away possibly from the heat generated from overcranking too long...dont know.
                Catalina 30, 1977, #421

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Dec 2008

Sparks from the starter motor is not a normal condition - get it checked and sorted out by professionals who know what they are doing.

Comment

• Administrator
                    MMI Webmaster
                    • Oct 2004

From Don via email:

That seal is a hard rubber grommet which I've never seen to fail. My guess is that during a rebuild in the past, the grommet broke and some rebuild shop didn't catch it. Not sure why it would cost $145 to repair. The shop probably doesn't understand his description of the problem.
                    Bill

Comment

• ndutton
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

Depending on the level of deterioration /damage to the grommet the sparking could range from small to something like a welder. It's there to insulate the high amperage positive voltage from the solenoid as it passes through the grounded starter case to the internal works. It's dangerous enough as it is, if the starting circuit is not fused it's even worse.

Sounds to me like the repair shop thinks pretty highly of their work. I'd consider other options.
                      Neil
                      1977 Catalina 30
                      San Pedro, California
                      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

The shop does not want to take the thing apart, find it 99% of the way to needing a rebuild, put the new rubber piece on, give it back, and have you in next week screaming you broke the starter. That is why they want to do the Full Monty while they have it apart
                        Joe Della Barba
                        Coquina
                        C&C 35 MK I
                        Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
                        X