Different spark plug wires with electronic ignition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Val V
    • Apr 2013

Different spark plug wires with electronic ignition?

Wondering if there are spark plug wires that are more suitable for use with the electronic ignition?
    Catalina 30, 1977, #421
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

No worries

Val, yes there are for really hot ones but we are only using an electronic trigger for the switching and a stock coil. The stock coil does not require anything with a higher rating. Good stock wires are fine.
    If you were using a really "hot" coil for high end stuff then yes the better ones are necessary.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

When I had EI it seemed to kill the wire from the coil to the distributor bit by bit. The engine would get harder and harder to start and I would put a new wire on and all would be good.
      IMHO, since modern cars use coil-on-plug, a lot of spark plug wire sets are cheap Chinese crap. It may be our host that sells the good ones
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Jan 2007

Oh yeh

Joe, your spot on! Cheap wires are cheap wires! Ya' get what you pay for!

A friend of mine who races offshore power stuff has a saying and I have always loved it. " Buy it right cry and cry only once".

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Val V
          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
          When I had EI it seemed to kill the wire from the coil to the distributor bit by bit. The engine would get harder and harder to start and I would put a new wire on and all would be good.
          IMHO, since modern cars use coil-on-plug, a lot of spark plug wire sets are cheap Chinese crap. It may be our host that sells the good ones
          I put in pertronix set with their coil which is intended for a higher output. Do I need the 40k volt coil to run A4? Probably not, since I am not trying to get every bit of the hp out of it. Still, just wanted to know if some wires are more suitable for the EI. I guess the answer is yes but not in a sailboat application.
          Catalina 30, 1977, #421

Comment

Working...
          X