X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cool Beans
    • Mar 2011

Hiya!

Always size your fuse/breaker to the wire being protected, not the load being drawn. Ie, don't put a 150 amp fuse on #4 cable. . .#2 or larger.

Also, easiest way to meet the minimum 7" requirement is with one of these:

BTW, great place to get custom made boat cables:

Custom Cable and Wire is home to custom made battery cables and the best quality US made UL 1426 marine grade wire products for your boat, rv, trailer, auto, solar, atv needs. Next day shipping available on most orders.s

On my boat I have the positive post fused, then a short run to my 1/2 switch. . .then to the starter. Entire run is #2 and is protected, bazinga!

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

What? Oh crap...now I gotta check that. I have 4# cable. Maybe for the starter run, and the battery to 1-2-both/150A breaker I need to move up to 2#??? The run is ~12 ft.

Thanks for the info CB, the boat had stiff 4# cable so I replaced it with same...except used welding cable, which is smaller gauge wires packed in the sheathing and much more flexible than the garbage from 1977.

+1 on genuinedealz.com - that is where I have gotten about 90% of my electrical stuff!!! I really like their shrink wrap termination fittings. They are awesome.
      Last edited by sastanley; 04-13-2015, 11:10 PM.
      -Shawn
      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • May 2010

Shawn: I've found this chart useful

Watch out for voltage drop over longer runs, especially high current runs. It will drive a positive feedback loop - the more the voltage drops, the higher the current needs to be, the more the wire heats... I sized all my wiring for 3% or less, but that means bigger cable$.

Welding cable and diesel locomotive cable is great stuff, but doesn't have individual strand tinning for corrosion resistance. That's why marine UL1426 cable is so expensive.
        Jeff

sigpic
        S/V Bunny Planet
        1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• joe_db
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

I wouldn't get too worked up about it. A load that might draw a continous 150 amps is one thing, but the starter draws about 120-130 amps for 20 seconds. A dead short will draw 300-1,000 amps or so and blow the breaker. 2 gauge is better for a starter than 4 gauge if you do feel like replacing it, but I would not say it is critical to do in the next day or two

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
          What? Oh crap...now I gotta check that. I have 4# cable. Maybe for the starter run, and the battery to 1-2-both/150A breaker I need to move up to 2#??? The run is ~12 ft.

Thanks for the info CB, the boat had stiff 4# cable so I replaced it with same...except used welding cable, which is smaller gauge wires packed in the sheathing and much more flexible than the garbage from 1977.

+1 on genuinedealz.com - that is where I have gotten about 90% of my electrical stuff!!! I really like their shrink wrap termination fittings. They are awesome.
          Joe Della Barba
          Coquina
          C&C 35 MK I
          Maryland USA

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

If you do use welding cable, use closed end lugs and heat shrink them. You do not want water wicking into the untinned copper cable and ruining it.

Originally posted by BunnyPlanet169 View Post
            Shawn: I've found this chart useful

Watch out for voltage drop over longer runs, especially high current runs. It will drive a positive feedback loop - the more the voltage drops, the higher the current needs to be, the more the wire heats... I sized all my wiring for 3% or less, but that means bigger cable$.

Welding cable and diesel locomotive cable is great stuff, but doesn't have individual strand tinning for corrosion resistance. That's why marine UL1426 cable is so expensive.
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

• Cool Beans
              • Mar 2011

I should apologize, didn't mean to worry you, lol. . .I thought all wiring should be 3% on a boat, which is what I have sized all my rewiring for so far. . .

As a comparison, the repro cables for my mustang are #4 and are turning over a 289 and no fuse

Comment

Working...
              X