Somebody thinks I know something about A4's..now I am an 'expert'!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

Hey everyone..thanks..We are all getting to the same page I think.

My goal is just to get this thing to run. It was donated to a local charitable organization, and my friend Barney (incidentally, I did my first distance race (Governor's Cup ) on his boat when I was 12..we were 3rd out of a fleet of 12 or 15 that year if I recall), and he asked me to help him get it running, so they (charity org reps) can get it out of this marina..

Now that we have the motor coughing, I need to dig further into each "system" related to the engine I guess and get them sorted...I have no idea whom or what has fiddled with this thing in the last 5+ years. I appreciate the comments and suggestions.

Keep the talk coming...I am gonna end up printing out this thread to take with me to the boat during the next visit so i don't forget anything.

I'd really like to pull this one out for him...he's a nice guy and a good friend.
    Last edited by sastanley; 12-15-2011, 11:47 PM.
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Take this schematic along too. It's basic engine wiring including the OPSS and electric fuel pump. In my opinion you don't have to fuss with the OPSS bypass off the 'R' starter terminal to activate the fuel pump because:
      1. Your fuel pump is already running when the ignition is energized regardless of oil pressure. It shouldn't but it is. Deal with it later.
      2. In my experience there's no need for a bypass off the 'R' terminal. Residual fuel in the carburetor bowl is sufficient to start and run the engine for about a minute at idle, plenty of time for the oil pressure to come up and close the OPSS and run the pump.
      Attached Files
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• jpian0923
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2010

Let me add my two "Sense" () that Hanley missed. . . Exhaust back pressure. Disconnect the exhaust system from the manifold. At the least, it will rule that out as a problem source.
        Last edited by jpian0923; 12-16-2011, 01:51 AM.
        "Jim"
        S/V "Ahoi"
        1967 Islander 29
        Harbor Island, San Diego
        2/7/67 A4 Engine Block date

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

Jim, thanks. The boat has been sitting on the hard for many years. The exhaust (&just about everything else) is disconnected. We aren't even bothering to run a water supply to the boat yet either. I figure if we can get it to fire up and run reliably for 30 seconds or so, then we'll drag a hose to the water supply...judging by the several hundred feet of hose Barney has in the cockpit, I am guessing it is pretty far away..

Speaking of exhausts, this engine has a cool mini-standpipe coming off the manifold too..I'll have to take a picture of it. But come to think of it, the exhaust is disconnected at the water lift muffler. I'll stick my nose in it for inspection if we get it running and it has any symptoms related to plugged exhaust.

Neil, that is exactly what I was thinking. I've started my engine with the petcock closed before and it ran for several minutes..just long enough to get backed out and clear from the slip

By the way - I do NOT envy you people with your engines under the stairs. This Sabre has the engine box double as the galley/stairs, etc. there are a few holes to open to get access, but it is terrible. If it wasn't rusted in place, I wanted to remove the sink to create another hole to get at the ignition side of the engine. This thing is a giant PITA to work on!
          Last edited by sastanley; 12-16-2011, 09:22 AM.
          -Shawn
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
            • Nov 2008

As An Add On To This........

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
            make doubly sure you haven't mistaken the exhaust stroke for the compression stroke for TDC. The crank and roll pin will be in the same position for both. You can hold your thumb on the spark plug hole as you rotate the crank. You should feel a little pressure as the #1 piston comes up to TDC. No pressure = exhaust stroke and you'll be 180 degrees off on the timing.
            See where the rotor is when #1 is on compression. Since you're dealing with an unknown here the distributor may be rotated and #1 is not where you are assuming it is on the cap.
            This may have been posted\done already - I didn't go back and read the thread.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• jpian0923
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2010

A symptom of blocked exhaust is hard starting, or not starting. I would Take the mini stand pipe off. It's been on there for 6 years...it's certainly not unrusting (new glossary term) all that time.
              "Jim"
              S/V "Ahoi"
              1967 Islander 29
              Harbor Island, San Diego
              2/7/67 A4 Engine Block date

Comment

• sastanley
                Afourian MVP
                • Sep 2008

jim, I hear ya..,i am not discounting your suggestion..I am rackin' & stackin' it in the "why won't this bi$%h run?!?"
                -Shawn
                sigpic

Comment

• sastanley
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Sep 2008

update - another one brought back to life!

I got a call from my buddy Barney today as he's retired and went down to the old Sabre again. The engine STARTED today!

New fuel (again) & new spark plugs did the trick & he said it started right up! He said he was almost overcome by exahust when she belched to life, but she did run. He didn't have a water supply so only ran her about 10 seconds..

Next step is to re-assemble the exhaust & add water..I am pretty sure it currently stops at the mixing elbow. What this also means is they can install the new permanent fuel tank, & re-hook all that stuff up too. I don't think they wanted to mess with it until we could confirm the engine would actually run.

-Shawn
                  sigpic

Comment

• Mo
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Jun 2007

cool

Not bad at all. Have to like it when a bunch of hard work pans out.
                    Mo

"Odyssey"
                    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                    The optimist expects it to change.
                    The realist adjusts the sails.
                    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

Working...
                    X