X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tac
    • Nov 2015

More on heating...

I like the idea of heat pumps, especially using geothermal. But other than the initial expense, those pumps require power.

One of the benefits of wood stove heat is that it takes no power (other than lots of human - no ‘lectrics needed). In our area we have, usually in winter, power failures lasting from 1+ hours to days. Our longest was 8 days in 1998. This year, a piddlin’ 4 day stretch. So far. With the wood stove we had heat and used the stove top for cooking. No water, other than melted snow, of which there was plenty.

Then we got a 5kW generator, and propane stove/oven. No more melting snow for water! Oh, frablous day!

The major problem with pellét stoves is they require power. Ours, a Harman XXV, needs about 2.5 amps at 120vac. When outside temps are below 10ºF, current goes up to about 3.6 amps as the distribution blower ramps up. This powers the auger (intermittent), the combustion blower (full time, constant speed), and the room fan “distribution” blower (variable speed drive). When we got the pellét stove, we wanted to have backup power so we wouldn’t have to run a noisy generator all day, and especially all night. We added two 105Ah AGM batteries in parallel in the basement, powering a 600W 120vac inverter. The batteries are kept charged with a 50 amp 3 stage battery charger off one of the generator panel’s 120v circuits. With a conservative battery capacity of 120Ah before recharging using the generator, this gives us about 30-50 hours to power the pellet stove.

Comment

• sdemore
      • Nov 2016

Mine are both old. The heat pump is 15 - 20 years old and can't function below about 20 degrees outside (the electric strip heat kicks in). The pellet stove is only 5 or 6 years old, but pulls its combustion air from inside the house, so not as efficient as it could be. I have a motorhome outside, with enough generator power to run the pellet stove, if that ever becomes necessary.
      Steve Demore
      S/V Doin' It Right
      Pasadena, MD
      sigpic

Comment

• pcupach
        Frequent Contributor
        • Jan 2018

Is Moyer Marine still up and running?

I've called Moyer Marine several times today...message states disconnected
        Google search shows Moyer Marine has a website, but when selected I am redirected to another webpage.
        Bing search result shows location closed.

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

I too bought a 7kw generator after Irene came thru, and even wired in a generator panel, but thankfully have never had more than a couple hours of power outage since then. I like the battery/inverter idea to avoid running the generator to power the pellet stove!
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X