• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HalcyonS
    • Dec 2012

what if you can't turn flywheel ?

The faq says -
    4) Clean the points by rotating the engine until they are closed, and then run a piece of cardboard between them. Then, with the ignition switch on, flick the points open and closed a few times while holding the main coil lead from the top of the coil about a quarter of an inch from the head, while observing for a good spark. If the spark is healthy (a half inch or better), the engine should be ready to start, ignition-wise.

but what if the motor, like mine, is V drive, and the flywheel is 36" from the access point, I mean, seriously not accessible. How do you rotate the engine?
    "Halcyon" 36' custom sloop. 8 tons. Glass over strip plank mahoghany. Spruce mast and booms, launched 1969. Original A4.
  • romantic comedy
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

You can just hit the starter a little. (using the key)

You can turn the distributor too. Then make sure the timing is correct. But you would be doing that anyway.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

I do

H, I can rotate my engine by lightly "squeezing" the fan belt and then I rotate the alternator by hand. This gives you a good mechanical advantage as the alt is really geared up.

I have rotated any A-4 I've worked on in this manner. Give it a try.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• HalcyonS
        • Dec 2012

Dave
        thanks, good tip
        S
        "Halcyon" 36' custom sloop. 8 tons. Glass over strip plank mahoghany. Spruce mast and booms, launched 1969. Original A4.

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

halcyon..another tip (which I also got from Dave Neptune) was the momentary trigger starter from your local auto boutique. It connects to the two lugs on the starter that get connected when you turn the key. My C-30 engine is in the middle of the boat, and the key in the middle of the cockpit..this helps a lot when trying to turn over the engine single handed...it is also great for compression tests, because you can turn the motor over without the ignition energized.

Just be aware that you should set up all these things prior to turning on the key so as not to burn up the coil.
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

• Cool Beans
            • Mar 2011

If you have to rotate the engine by hand, loosen or remove the spark plugs first so you have no compression resistance. An old, broken in engine like these should be easy to turn by hand then

Comment

Working...
            X