X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trap1310
    • Feb 2009

One more brought from the dead

I have a 1977 27' Catalina that had no engine when I bought it. After doing some digging I found out that the Atomic 4 was pretty much standard issue in these boats. I had never set eyes on one of these engines in my life but I have a pretty good mechanical back ground via my father and grandfather. I searched for around a year until I found a guy locally that had one for sale. As it turned out he actually had one and two thirds for sale; one engine was complete and the other was missing the oil pan, distributor and trans. Both engines were completely dissasembled when I went to look at them and with great hesitation I gave him 250.00 for the whole shabang. That was about six weeks ago and with new parts from Moyer and Don's very helpfull manual I finally fired it up tonight. It didn't want to start at first (NO SPARK), but after installing new points, condenser, rotor and cap, it fired immediately. The thing just purrs like a kitten and I'm so happy I almost feel giddy!!! Everything came out great; absolutely no mechanical tapping noises whatsoever, it's smooth as silk.
    Figuring out where all the parts and pieces go and getting this engine back to life has given me a great respect for this little motor. It's simplicity and strength of design makes me want to find the parts I need for the other block and rebuild it, also. As soon as I get this new motor in the boat I'm starting on the other one. I have no idea what I'll do with it but at least it will be another one saved from the scrap heap.
    Thanks Don for making these parts available and helping us all keep this little motor on the water.
Working...
X