• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Black wire?

I have a question for you electrical experts, probably Neil can answer this but I thought it would be good to ask on the forum instead on the phone.
    What is black wire caused by on the ground side of a 12v system. I have never really understood what it really is or the cause. I believe it increases resistance but that is about all I know about it and I'm not sure of that. I have seen a bit on my boats 40+ year old wiring. I have replaced a bit of wiring when the pig tails left after replaceing something electrical are to short to tie into. The wiring leaves a bit to be desired on most old production boats like mine.

Dave Neptune
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Do you mean black corrosion on the copper?
    I had to rewire my whole boat because of that. I always assumed it was too much salt air combined with C&C not using tinned wire. It eventually turns the wire into black powder. I have never ever seen Ancor tinned wire do this

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
    I have a question for you electrical experts, probably Neil can answer this but I thought it would be good to ask on the forum instead on the phone.
    What is black wire caused by on the ground side of a 12v system. I have never really understood what it really is or the cause. I believe it increases resistance but that is about all I know about it and I'm not sure of that. I have seen a bit on my boats 40+ year old wiring. I have replaced a bit of wiring when the pig tails left after replaceing something electrical are to short to tie into. The wiring leaves a bit to be desired on most old production boats like mine.

Dave Neptune
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Joe is on the money. It actually has more to do with moisture than salt but salt certainly aggravates the situation. The condition is worse at the ends where the stranding is exposed. Over time it will migrate up the stranding. The result is higher resistance of the wire.

This is common in landscape lighting wire too.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        • Jan 2007

Wire

Thanx Neil & Joe, will tinned wire eleiminate the problem? Or what about sealing up the ends.
        I have been told by a few to use aircraft wire when rewiring as it's insulation is much tougher for pulling wire in a fiberglass boat. Sounds like a good idea if so. However is aircraft wire better against "black wire" or is it to tinned?

Dave Neptune

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
          • Nov 2008

I use marine grade wire on the boat with the end terminals soldered and heat shrunk. It's worked well over the years. The heat shrink keeps the moisture away.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Marian Claire
            Afourian MVP
            • Aug 2007

Good time to ask this question. During Irene all the boat boxes at the marina got flooded. I had several partial rolls of wire, from the PO, in a tub in my box. They sat in the brackish water for a few weeks before I cleaned out my box. Bad mistake on my part. Is the wire toast? Can I check and see how far the water worked up the wire and maybe save some? Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
              • Nov 2008

Assuming The Wire Is Still Savable......

Probably the best bet is to unroll it and dry it out then put it in a bag with a few desiccant packs. Don't know how much it is worth to you to fool around with it but I do know marine grade wire is not inexpensive.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• edwardc
                Afourian MVP
                • Aug 2009

If it's tinned wire, it's probably ok. If not, cut it back an inch, strip it, and check for greenish or black corrosion. If found, keep cutting back until you get to clean dry copper.

If you decide to get rid of it, take it to a copper recycler. They pay good money for scrap copper. It's not gold, but it's getting there!
                @(^.^)@ Ed
                1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
                with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• Marian Claire
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Aug 2007

Thanks guys. Will do. Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

Working...
                  X