X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tpN27
    • May 2009

Greetings!

I am a new Newport 27 owner, equipped with an Atomic 4.
    As many of you probably know, its the owner who is new (to the boat), not the boat - a 1976.
    Bought the boat last November. Just brought it to Deltaville, Va from Cape May NJ area first part of May. Up the Del Bay, throught the Ches-Del Canal and down the Ches to Deltaville on the Rappahannock River.
    I live in Prince George Co., Va and D'ville is about 1 1/2 hrs down the road.
    We motored all the way from Cape May. Wind direction, storms and my schedule made sailing not practical. The engine did great under way, but we had some trouble docking because when we idled down in forward, then tried to shift to reverse, as soon as it was in neutral, the rpms soared. When we throtled down so we could shift, every time it stalled out.
    Anybody experience this before?
    Torsten
  • Phil
    • Oct 2004

Hi, Torsten,

Welcome to the Atomic 4 world. You ought to get Moyer's book on maintaining/rebuilding/tuning the A4. It is well worth the money.

From your symptoms of not being able to idle you could very well have water in your gas/carb. You can remove the main jet and clean it and that will also permit any water to run out.

Change filters.
    Suck out sludge/bottom of gas tank and check for water.
    Do a full tuneup, too, for the experience and knowledge that everything is up to snuff.

Phil

Comment

Working...
    X