X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gary gerber
    • May 2008

New... hope to learn and contribute

I have been a Moyer site follower for many years but new to this forum.
    I sail a 1970 Morgan 33 which I have owned for thirty three years.

Three years ago I replaced the double walled 60" exhaust pipe with a Vetus system which includes a number of Moyer components, I have an article on the installation in the current issue of BoatUS DIY magazine. I should apologize for the flaking paint on the engine in the photos, I tried a different white paint and it didn't hold up.

The 30hp Atomic has been extremely reliable over the years however maybe someone can suggest a solution to a current problem. I was unable to test run the engine prior to launch this season. I find now that the engine will start up strong then shut down. If I wait a few minutes to try and start up the situation will repeat itself. I have installed new plugs, new water separator fuel filter and cleaned the sediment bowl. I intend to remove the main passage plug next to drain the carburator. Does this sound like water in the carb?
  • HerbertFriedman
    • Oct 2004

new hope to learn and contribute

Try isolating whether the problem is electrical or fuel, to me it sounds electrical since you have to wait a few minutes to restart. Check coil, could be thermally induced short and it cools after a few minutes. To check, hold spark plug wire near to ground just after engine shuts down and look for nice blue spark. If none or spark is weak yellow, bet it is the coil. If not then you know it is the fuel system, float, main jet, etc.

Comment

• gary gerber
      • May 2008

Thanks for the response. Actually, after the initial start up and shut down I can get the engine to crank strongly but not fire ( I checked I am getting spark to the plugs ). What I should have said more clearly is that after repeated start attempts if I wait a few minutes the engine will start right up but again shut down.

In checking the sediment bowl which had no sediment and was full of gasoline I suspected water somewhere else in the carb.

I thought maybe I am missing something obvious.

Comment

• Kaselehlia
        • Dec 2007

Something you can check is to quick screw down the fuel filter and see if it is full or sucked down.Maybe there is a pump problem or a suction problem between the fuel pump and the fuel tank.

Comment

• mikedee
          Frequent Contributor
          • Jun 2008

Modern gasoline looses its volatility quickly in warm weather regardless if you use a preservative or not,your problem could be last years gas.Also try cleaning the points because they oxidize over time causing weak spark.

Comment

• gary gerber
            • May 2008

new...hope to learn and contribute

Thanks folks.
            I took the easy way out and purchased a new carb from Moyer, installed it and the engine runs perfectly. The removed carb was just gummed up so I'll clean it now at my liesure.

Comment

Working...
            X