• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John B
    • Apr 2008

New Old Member

Hello All-

Eleven years ago I purchased Hull #26 1967 Pearson Renegade, powered by the original (older model) Atomic 4. I learned of Don Moyer, and utilized the Moyer Marine site often, including the early forum. The first thing I did was buy the Atomic 4 manual - now my Bible.

I experienced most of the issues discussed in the Forum, and over time had done a partial rebuild, added some updated parts (electric fuel pump for one), and had the 40 year old engine running fairly well. At the time, I was interested in a used A4 that I had located, but $$ and my desire to "fix" the existing engine held me back.

The boat had a few leaks, and my wife, Elayne, of course wanted no leaks, and more headroom. So in 2003 we purchased the "Quest," a 1971 (Hull #199) Ericson 32. It is a great boat, but I had to do quite a bit of work, including replacing 3 of the four main bulkheads. Because of all this work, we renamed the boat "Re-Quest."

There is a wonderful Ericson owners web site, with several forums, that might be of interest to all, at www.Ericsonyachts.org. The threads there have been invaluable to me as I've upgraded the Re-Quest. I believe that the forums therein are driven by the same package as this Forum.

However, last Fall, I had a few problems with my raw-water-cooled later model A4, and decided to haul her out and rebuild. However, as I wanted to upgrade to fresh-water cooling, I started looking around for an engine that was suitable... One day I noticed the name and phone number in my cell phone book of the fellow that owned the engine that I had an interest in years before. Amazingly, he answered the phone, remembered me, and YES the engine was still in his garage! Something else - I didn't remember from before - this engine was fresh-water cooled, and had the original Universal cooling system installed.

I guess that's a long story to indicate that I then began a new relationship with Moyer Marine. Don and also John Featherman were most helpful with advice before, during, and after my rebuild - which includes most of the bells and whistles available from them - e.g. forward access oil dipstick, electronic ignition, electric fuel pump, low-oil pressure and high water temperature alarms, etc.

Here's a picture of the Ericson 32 - we are located on Buzzard's Bay / Cape Cod /Bourne, MA. I'll post some pictures of the rebuild project in the general forum shortly.

Spring is springing, and several projects are underway - but none involving the A4 for a change!

John B.
    Attached Files
Working...
X