X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Larry Cogan
    • Jan 2008

I got me one....

I know that it is usual for new guys to think that their situation is unique but I think that I got a shot here....

I actually went looking for a boat with a dead Atomic 4. I wanted a boat with an engine that hadn't been run for at least two years since it's last gasp. My only requirement was that it hadn't been involved in an all consuming fire! Well I found one that was every bit of that and more. Been sitting on the hard, for two years, without any winterizing.

Didn't want no loud, shroud shaking, stinkin diesel, with girlie fuel sipping habits. I wanted a real man's engine: a gasoline suckin, made in 'Merica, purring honest to gawd flat head four. Not one or two, but count em, FOUR smooth seven and a half horsepower cylinders. Anyone who doesn't think that the pic of the completed MM A4, on the exchange engine page, is the most beautiful thing ever created by the hand of man, isn't a real beer drinkin, cheeseburger and BBQ lovin patriot!

I should say that I'm not a mechanic, beyond messin with Model T Fords. I fell in love with this site a couple of years ago when I saw Don mention something about RPM and manifold pressure in AD 6/A1E Sky Raider....the coolest airplane not to quite make it into WWII. And Don mentioned his VN experience in the same sentence. I determined right then that the MM folks deserve large portions of my disposable income....meagre though it is.

"The Plan" is to somehow have a turnin and burnin A4, in the bilge, by June, for a gentle motorsailing trip from Baltimore, to east coast central Florida. (Whatever happened to the old Waterway Guide Chart Books?)

And "They said it couldn't be done...." without wiping out my kid's legacy.

Great to be here amongst real men! (And a couple a ladies.)
Working...
X