• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smosher
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2006

Next Season Projects

I winterized the boat and motor today and thought about next season projects. I tried not to flood the engine with MMO, we'll see next spring
    how well I did. The plugs look very good, but I only burned 12 gallons this year and I have the low speed mix set to 2 turns out.

To date I have replaced the fram filter with a racor, had starter rebuilt, replaced mechanical fuel pump with the facet, rebuilt the exhaust pipe and wrapped it, electronic ignition, new Moyer 502 water pump, new 5 bolt carb with a fuel pressure gauge, ballast resistor, 55 amp alt, added intake water filter and replaced the sea scoop with a straight thruhull.

I plan on removing the ammeter and adding a voltmeter. Looks like its a very short run from the starter to the alternator. I am also going to add a tach as I don't have one. I'm always curious as to how many rpm's I'm turning. I usually set the throttle to do 5 - 6 kts on the p30. There's no room in my instrument cluster so I need to figure out where.

On the way in to the marina for winter storage I did 2 - 3 kts at most and the prop was filled with barnacles when they lifted her out. I need to do something else other than paint the prop with bottom paint.

I know the change to fwc would be major but I still have a kid at college,
    what else can I do to increase the reliabilty and or longetivity of the A4 ?

The A4 runs very good and has no issues other than me. I had one today. Filled up the oil, sucked it out last we after running it for 3 hrs, got everything ready to suck up the antifreeze and the engine wouldn't start, gave it a little more gas and it still wouldn't start. Went down below and started looking things over and forgot I pulled the ignition wire as I had drained the engine of oil. Put it back on and shut off the choke and of course she started right up.

Since I have the Moyer exhaust flange, adding the vacuum gauge looks simple. I will probably add that.

Any other suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Sorry for the long post.

Steve
    Last edited by smosher; 10-21-2012, 01:00 PM.
  • Mo
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2007

not bad

I think you are ahead of the game. Next year invest in some "Micron" bottom paint....should cost under 200 to do the boat and it doesn't need to be done every year...paint that prop and shaft as well...the only thing you leave unpainted under there is the anode.

As for the Micron...I don't use it because my boat is off the dock almost every day. We just lifted out about 110 boats this week...the ones that sat at the dock all year with "micron" came out relatively clean. Not bad for cocktail boats.
    Mo

"Odyssey"
    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
    The optimist expects it to change.
    The realist adjusts the sails.
    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

cleaning props!

Steve, I've been using the Pettit spray can #1792 on my prop. However, after further research, I've learned it is basically a 93% zinc cold galvanizing spray, so you can also buy the $6 can at the local hardware store.

Nothing will keep the prop clean...you simply have to scrape it once in a while...I don't know if the spray stuff works any better than bottom paint..

I try to scrape mine in the spring once the water warms up before the sea nettles come in, and then again as soon as they are gone. If I can swing it, I clean as much of the bottom as I can too, but I also have a buddy with dive gear that helps me out usually twice per year.

I don't like swimming under the boat, but the engine is MUCH happier with a clean prop, so I suck it up and scrape it whenever I can. Even hiring a diver once in the middle of the summer is better than doing nothing & probably cheaper than a short haul with a powerwash.
      -Shawn
      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

• Cool Beans
        • Mar 2011

Yeah, expensive can of cold galv, though the paint itself is harder. . .

I wonder, could you have your prop teflon coated? Nothing sticks to my frying pan,not even burnt cheese

Even if it didn't prevent growth, hopefully it would be slick enough for it to be brushed off, or even allow the prop to be self cleaning?

Comment

• Bigeye
          • Jul 2010

Zinc Primer

The inexpensive Rustoleum cold zinc spray worked for me. I put three medium coats on the prop and shaft and had very little growth compared to previous years when the prop looked like a mussel farm without any treatment.

Comment

• smosher
            Afourian MVP
            • Jun 2006

Good Input

Thanks for all of the suggestions on my barnacles

Steve

Comment

Working...
            X