• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • southcoasting
    • Nov 2011

Oil Pressure Adjustment Plug

Hi all,
    Been a while.

I am looking into replacing the oil pressure plug and it appears that all I need is the spring. However, what concerns me here is that my plug does not have pointy end that the Moyer version has? Mine looks to be flat on the end while Moyer marine one is cone shaped on end. See pics. Is this normal on some engines or is mine just missing the end piece? Am I okay with re-using my original?
    Attached Files
    1971 Tartan 34C Sloop "NOVA LUNA", Rebuilt (2019) Fresh Water Cooled A4 (Bought boat in 2014)
    1968 Tartan 27 Yawl "Destinada", rebuilt Old Lyme freshwater A4 (Sold boat in 2014)
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

It's just old style from the factory and an upgrade from MMI. They both work fine however the conical version will possibly flow slightly better.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Or you can forget that and install the filter
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

Did the ball pop out of the block with the spring? Sometimes you have to turn the engine over for it to ploop out.
        edit - sorry maybe I should provide more detail. The oil pressure style in your picture, I think should have a round ball that the spring pushes against.
        The cone style in the moyer shot does not have a ball, hence why I asked if the ball came out. I remember a note/memo/video (maybe in the manual) from Moyer that the ball does not always fall out when the oil pressure regulator is removed on the ball style.
        Last edited by sastanley; 03-13-2024, 10:34 PM.
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• Al Schober
          Afourian MVP
          • Jul 2009

Two designs. The early design (yours) the screw piece pushes the spring which pushes a ball. Later design, the spring pushes on the pin with the conical end.
          Question is: where is the ball? Still down in the hole, or lost?

Comment

Working...
          X