Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • keelcooler
    • Oct 2008

I have no thermostat so I blocked off that port. To regulate temp I have "T" fittings before raw water pump and at manifold exit,with a ball valve in between.

I always have full flow through pump,block,head,manifold and into exhaust.
    This is simply the way the early models worked.

As Don has pointed out this full flow system "provides a more even temp distribution and increased water velocity tends to keep the cooling passages cleaner"
    Temp is maintained externally with the ball valve which re-circulates some of the hot water back to the water pump intake.

Before I flush the raw water system with fresh water, I open the valve so it warms up to around 190.This might help retard internal salt build up.

Comment

• Marian Claire
      Afourian MVP
      • Aug 2007

Keelcooler. Your set up sounds like the way to go. Is that the original from universal or your adaptation? I see T fitting in my future. Thanks for the input. Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• keelcooler
        • Oct 2008

Dan, I have an early model with a late model head. I think early models came without thermostats but did offer an external Dole bronze unit as an upgrade.

This is Don's set up he has pictured at MMI. I just substituted the Dole with a ball valve. But yes, the full flow concept was the original design from what I gather from MMI.

My 61 a4 never had a thermostat or a temp gauge.

Comment

• Mark S
          • Sep 2008

Keels,

In what craft is your '61 A4?

Mark

Comment

• keelcooler
            • Oct 2008

Mark,Pearson Triton 28'#336,original guts with a replacement new style head.
            Don feels the older Oshkosh castings are a better alloy.
            After working on her I think he's right.
            Although she was a pile of rust at first,I can now eat off the head and it runs great!

Comment

• Mark S
              • Sep 2008

Back in the dawn of time we had a Triton. I think she was number 389 but memory fails. I remember her as a great boat with a thoroughly reliable early model A4. Tritons are all time classics.

Mark

Comment

• smosher
                Afourian MVP
                • Jun 2006

I installed the ballvalve and ran up the engine. I left the valve closed. When I 1st started it brown water came out and after 30 sec it was clear. I ran it for @ 2 hours in idle while I charged the battery. I hadn't been to the boat in awhile with kids going back to college and the storms that came through.

Temperature more or less stayed on the peg less than 120.
                I didn't move the valve I figure I'll do that when I'm motoring.

When I was charging the battery I heard the A4 stumble and saw it twitch. I shut it off then tried to restart, it wouldn't start. It would turn over but not run. I just rebuilt the fuel system with a new carb so I thought I screwed something up. I squirted starter fluid thinking it would start and it didn't. I touched the coil and it was HOT, WAY hot too hot to even touch. I have a pertronix flame thrower coil along with the electronic ignition. The coil is maybe 3 years old. The coil is mounted in its original location next to the dist. After I let it cool for a 1/2 hr or so it started right up.

I guess I'm off to get a coil.

I also had a senior moment, when I got it started I looked at my fuel pressure gauge I installed a month ago, it read 0. I tapped the gauge and it moved, but back to zero. Shorted out the oil pressure switch, still zero. i was looking around when I noticed I turned off the gas. Turned it on and up to 3 lbs. I'm very glad I didn't start disconnecting

Steve

Comment

Working...
                X