X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fstued
    • Jan 2014

Fuel problems

Got the carb and fuel line all put back together after a bad gas problem and expected the engine to pur but it just cranked. After cleaning the system and changing out the fuel/water separator except for the fuel pump I tried to start the engine but it just cranked. There was no fuel in the carburetor. So I figured rebuilt the fuel pump. I took it off and tried to pump fuel through and it seemed to work perfectly. So now I am going to put it all back together again and see what happens. I lalso cleaned to new carb. I didn't do anything to the pump because it seemed to work.
    If it fails again to start I am thinking about an electric fuel pump. Any reviews on those vs manual. I am really getting tried of taking the carburetor off but I am getting good at it.
    thanks
  • JOHN COOKSON
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Nov 2008

A fuel pressure gauge just before the carburetor would isolate the problem - fuel pump or carburetor.
    Try running off an auxiliary tank of fuel straight to the fuel pump then you will know whether the boat's part or the engine's part of the fuel system is at fault.
    These two suggestions will stop the guessing and hunches and isolate the problem.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Fstued
      • Jan 2014

found the problem

I found the problem The old A4 is fixed and running After taking off the fuel pump and thinking it worked I put it back on and things still didn't work. Another friend showed up and said "Its the fuel Pump, Put an electric one in there cheap" So down to the local Auto parts store and for $27 and about 30 min worth of hook up time it purrs like a kitten. YAY.
      An intermittent fuel pump problem.
      Now I have a new fuel system, clean tank to intake manifold.

Comment

• Al Schober
        Afourian MVP
        • Jul 2009

Now you need an oil pressure safety switch to be safe (and legal).

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Please do an oil change to wrap this up. One particular mechanical fuel pump problem delivers fuel into the crankcase so just to be thorough . . . . . y'know?
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Sam
            Afourian MVP
            • Apr 2010

I would spend a little more now and replace the Chinese auto parts store fuel pump[Mr Gasket etc] with a Facet brand or a specialized Facet one from Moyer. I think most of the psi on the off the shelf auto store brands exceed 4psi to 7psi. You may want to stay in the 2-3 psi range.

Comment

• roadnsky
              Afourian MVP
              • Dec 2008

+1

Originally posted by Sam View Post
              I would spend a little more now and replace the Chinese auto parts store fuel pump[Mr Gasket etc] with a Facet brand or a specialized Facet one from Moyer. I think most of the psi on the off the shelf auto store brands exceed 4psi to 7psi. You may want to stay in the 2-3 psi range.
              Agreed.
              Like this one
              -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
              sigpic
              1978 RANGER 30

Comment

Working...
              X