X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crazer
    • Sep 2011

Fresh Water Cooling basics

I got an old heat exchanger (the horizontal style) along with a nice sea water pump and a badly corroded pulley with my boat and her rebuilt Moyer A4. The boat had been in fresh water since the new motor was installed but I have since moved to Maryland and as she will now be in brackish and salt water exclusively I want to convert the motor to fresh water cooling. I'll post some pictures of the heat exchanger, but looking at the arrangement on other motors I'm guessing that the pump on the motor acts as the circulation pump for the coolant and the pump that's driven off the front of the motor is the sea water pump. On my heat exchanger, the seawater inlet and outlets are on the same side, and the one on the bottom is sort of angled in towards the cooling passages, so I'm thinking that's the sea water inlet with the idea being that the angle of the inlet would sort of force water into the passages. Also, my zinc was just a pile of dust. Does this zinc have the same 3/8" threads as the one sold here?
    Last edited by Crazer; 12-31-2016, 04:16 PM.
    -Avery

Rhodes Swiftsure 33 SV “Clio”
    Sparrow’s Point, MD
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

We REALLY need some photos

Originally posted by Crazer View Post
    I got an old heat exchanger (the horizontal style) along with a nice sea water pump and a badly corroded pulley with my boat and her rebuilt Moyer A4. The boat had been in fresh water since the new motor was installed but I have since moved to Maryland and as she will now be in brackish and salt water exclusively I want to convert the motor to fresh water cooling. I'll post some pictures of the heat exchanger, but looking at the arrangement on other motors I'm guessing that the pump on the motor acts as the circulation pump for the coolant and the pump that's driven off the front of the motor is the sea water pump. On my heat exchanger, the seawater inlet and outlets are on the same side, and the one on the bottom is sort of angled in towards the cooling passages, so I'm thinking that's the sea water inlet with the idea being that the angle of the inlet would sort of force water into the passages. Also, my zinc was just a pile of dust. Does this zinc have the same 3/8" threads as the one sold here?
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
    X